Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-08-17 08:51:57

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: rss_admin_db_manager: Database management in Textpattern

One thing I’d also like to do (somehow) is a pref to control how many rows are fetched by default when you click a table from the plugin’s list of tables panel. Currently it gets all rows, which for some tables means looooong execution times if there’s a tonne of data.

That does imply being able to paginate on the SQL panel though, which might be cumbersome. Will have to see what’s feasible.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2020-08-17 09:32:17

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

[…] because they have Textile/HTML markup in them which gets rendered or matching style rules get executed. Not a lot we can do about that unfortunately

Indeed that could be a problem made worse if the relevant cell contains invalid or partial HTML code. As you say, probably not much can be done about it, unless you know of a super secret sauce that will magically disable all those HTML tags. as far as I can remember, the current core HTML and CSS code, combined with the browser default recovery methods for borked HTML is robust enough to tolerate quite a bit without the page going completely pear-shaped.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#15 2020-08-17 09:35:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #325423:

unless you know of a super secret sauce that will magically disable all those HTML tags.

The only thing I can think of is to strip tags wholesale, or htmlencode them. The latter is more ‘complete’ because at least you see the tags in the output. Arguably, we should be doing that anyway as it’s safer. In theory, at the moment, if you loaded the content of the Forms table and you had JavaScript in some of your Forms, it’d run.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#16 2021-04-19 17:38:35

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bumping this since I’m keen to get more eyes on Textpattern 4.8.6 code so we can release it soon.

Bloke has made some changes to rss_admin_db_manager and Textpattern for MySQL users. Here’s the info, including the minimum requirements for it to work:

github.com/textpattern/textpattern/issues/1653#issuecomment-818076099

There are three tabs added to the Diagnostics detail dropdown: Database Manager, Database Backup and Run SQL. Look:

Neat, huh? Anyone interested in this extra functionality is invited to test it out. As it stands right now, tis is the only issue on the v4.8.6 issue list, so if we can give this some eyeballs, v4.8.6 will be coming soon.

#17 2021-04-19 21:18:54

jakob
Admin
Website

Cool! While I quite like my regular work, it is stopping me from keeping up with Stef’s amazingly prolific output. That and the fact that an O2 “upgrade” to a cable connection has left us without internet for nigh-on 10 days now.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#18 2021-04-19 22:59:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #329914:

As it stands right now, tis is the only issue on the v4.8.6 issue list

Ummm, oops1

1 sorry

#19 2021-04-20 12:06:02

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #329919:

Ummm, oops^1^

1 sorry

Do we need a tracking issue for this, or is it job-done territory?

#20 2021-04-20 12:17:33

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #329914:

Bumping this since I’m keen to get more eyes on Textpattern 4.8.6 code so we can release it soon.

For anyone wanting to play at home: if you use the plugin, you need to download a copy from the diag-panel branch, here

I had originally downloaded from the main branch only to discover that nothing was happening as described. I’ll try to have a look tomorrow.

#21 2021-04-20 12:49:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #329940:

For anyone wanting to play at home: if you use the plugin, you need to download a copy from the diag-panel branch

Heh, uhhh, thanks :$ I shoulda linked to it, sorry for wasting your time. I’ve updated the OP with links to both.

#22 2021-04-21 09:27:39

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Ok, so I briefly played around with the most recent 4.8.6-dev build.

1. the diagnostics panel behaves as expected, at first there is no visible change :-)
  2. with the extension installed, one can find 3 new items in the select widget that allow to manage the DB – that is nicely tucked away, protecting the innocent.
  3. the 3 subitems generated by the extension show what they are supposed to show, afaict. How well they actually work I don’t know, some basic tests, create a backup, run a SQL query did do fine.

And nothing destroyed the DB.

#23 2021-04-21 09:42:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Yay, thank you for trying it out. I was in two minds whether to just add a single ‘Database management’ item to the dropdown and then have the backup/SQL links from that panel only. But it ended up being less hassle – and slightly more usable – to provide direct links to each panel from the outset.

Glad your database didn’t catch fire.

#24 2021-04-21 11:24:44

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #329945:

I was in two minds whether to just add a single ‘Database management’ item to the dropdown and then have the backup/SQL links from that panel only.

I think it is a reasonable way to handle this without sending the user down a bit of labyrinth. When I first saw the subject discussed on GH, I was a bit afraid you would put one or more additional button-links on the panel; the select route is a good way to hide the complexities from the less savoury user, if the plugin is installed.

Or is it still the idea to have the plugin code integrated within Textpattern Core?

Board footer