Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-04-01 15:50:20

Destry
Website

Counting goats

After reading GoatCounter’s FAQ, and a few other of its documents, I’m intrigued with it, and especially as stats are basic and lightweight.

I’m a little unclear if it’s collecting IPs, or if it’s anonymizing them, if so. I can’t tell from this related GDPR doc, where it’s discussed.

But I like the honest and down to it way the dev comes across. You can tell he’s on the right side of the fence and put thought into more than the code alone. And I like that you can self-host, which eliminates worrying about a Processor contract (Controller is one in the same in that case).

In the FAQ, it gives options about how to implement it, one of which being ‘integrated in middleware’. I don’t know if that means a Txp GoatCounter plugin can be made or not, or what that might look like, but I’d be happy to test such a plugin. I have the self-hosted scenario in mind, with the notion of seeing goatalytics in a Txp administration panel but maybe that’s screwy?

🐐

Last edited by Destry (2021-04-01 15:56:44)

#2 2021-04-01 16:27:03

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Counting goats

Destry wrote #329628:

And I like that you can self-host …

If you’re on a typical shared host, you may need to see if your provider will allow that on your account (your chances are better if you have ssh access but I’ve had no luck with go-based apps on my shared host). If that’s not possible, you’d need to set up a VPS from one of the providers they mention like Digital Ocean or Linode or similar. It’s not as hard as it may sound at first. Otherwise, you can always use their free hosted tier for private use.

posthog will likely have similar limitations.

I don’t know if that means a Txp GoatCounter plugin can be made or not, or what that might look like, but I’d be happy to test such a plugin.

The js-code you need to include to start analyzing you can just put in your page template. No plugin required.

If you mean a Textpattern plugin that will show you your stats in the admin area, that will probably depend on what information you can retrieve from Goatcounter’s API.

🐐

Nice :-)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2021-04-01 17:13:50

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #329629:

I’ve had no luck with go-based apps on my shared host

Good to know. That might be the deal-ender right there, if it doesn’t work out. I’m paid up for a year, so I’m not switching hosts anytime soon.

The js-code you need to include to start analyzing you can just put in your page template. No plugin required.

Yeah, I got that, but…

If you mean a Textpattern plugin that will show you your stats in the admin area…

Mm-hmm.

that will probably depend on what information you can retrieve from Goatcounter’s API.

Which is why this is just a probing and seeding the idea kind of post, because I can’t code my way out of wet toilet paper.

Otherwise, you can always use their free hosted tier for private use.

What I have in mind probably falls on the commercial side of his fence, but I certainly don’t see needing to pay for anything until it proved worthwhile.

Also, as mentioned, self-hosting eliminates Processor contracts, which is always nice for small fries like me. And that was one thing I didn’t see him saying he provided anyway. I get the feeling that’s something he’s trying to avoid, too, by keeping it all fingerprint free, which makes me think he probably does anonymize IPs.

#4 2021-04-01 19:57:54

bici
Website Mastodon

i wont start counting my eggs or goats until i hear back from someone who has successfully implemented it on their host.

…. texted postive

Board footer