Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-03-13 06:21:38

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

p2p foundation

Just out:

In recent years the P2P Foundation has become the dominion of a single man: its founder Michel Bauwens. Despite its stated commitment to the “commons”, under Bauwens’ direction the P2P Foundation has increasingly come to represent an understanding of the commons as a place of white privilege and punitive male fragility.

Over the last few years, despite concern from long-standing members and close associates, Bauwens has transformed the P2P Facebook and P2P Foundation Wiki pages into what many of us perceive to be a pulpit for reactionary and conservative politics. This is done to the extent that members who identify as and with women, people of colour and the LGBT community have felt unheard, demeaned, disparaged and unsafe.

… Read more: p2p-left.gitlab.io/statement/

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2021-03-13 14:28:31

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: p2p foundation

colak wrote #329232:

Just out:

Just what is it all about? :-)

#3 2021-03-13 15:12:54

Destry
Website

Fascinating. I’d never paid attention to that foundation before. Its website conveys some pretty interesting information that will require more inspection and meditation, as will this situation brought to light.

I’m not surprised that the concerns of the letter could potentially be real, considering the scope, big picture, that seems to underline the nature of Bauwen’s work. Alternate society scenarios around post-capitalism is a small step from post-collapse scenarios. And then where do you end up?

Terms like futures, resilience, adaption, finite resources, degrowth, etc. all conceptually link together at some point as read out from the p2p website. And anyone paying attention to climate scientists scream-warning us through their bullhorns knows that pickings will be slim in a few decades. I’m not putting my money on global rationality and cooperation magically happening at that point. It will be tooth and claw. Look at how bad nations handle vaccine sharing and distribution, as one small example of globalism failure. And Paris Climate targets? Forget it.

People who recognize this are positioning themselves for the inevitable. You can be sure. Look at the billionaires already buying up islands, mountain tops, or large tracks of land in New Zealand, for example.

I have no doubt there are plans on some arsehole’s desk somewhere for a moon fortress. Probably Musk or Bozos, but who knows. China and Russia just signed an accord of collaboration to build a moon base, EU and US not allowed. So expect the competitive land rush for lunar real estate to pick up soon. Didn’t Tom Cruise own property up there?

Last edited by Destry (2021-03-13 15:23:32)

#4 2021-03-13 16:02:56

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

etc wrote #329233:

Just what is it all about? :-)

The letter was penned by Dmytri Kleiner who has been involved with the P2P Foundation for almost 20 years but it was signed by many in the media arts community. the letter basically accuses Bauwens of racism and sexism.

Destry wrote #329234:

Didn’t Tom Cruise own property up there?

Cabinet magazine sold some land there some years ago. It was something like 10×10cm for $1 if I remember correctly. The problem of course is always on our concept of property. Even Proudhon got it wrong when he wrote that “property is theft,” as to steal something implies the admission of the concept of ownership. The changes we need are fundamental and we are centuries away from achieving them willingly.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2021-03-13 19:12:53

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #329232:

… Read more: p2p-left.gitlab.io/statement/

8 years ago, TechCrunch posted an article about an online group calling themselves Neo-Reactionaries.

Neoreactionaries believe “The Cathedral,” is a meta-institution that consists largely of Harvard and other Ivy League schools, The New York Times and various civil servants. Anissimov calls it a “self-organizing consensus.” Sometimes the term is used synonymously with political correctness. The fundamental idea is that the Cathedral regulates our discussions enforces a set of norms as to what sorts of ideas are acceptable and how we view history — it controls the Overton window, in other words. – Geeks for Monarchy: The Rise of the Neoreactionaries

A year later, GamerGate happened. A couple of years after that there was a brief moment in the sun for Richard Spencer and his small but vocal group of White Supremacists that called itself the Alt-Right. (I actually had a run-in with Spenser on Twitter.) Later Eric Weinstein coined the term Intellectual Dark Web for another brief-lived movement which did include some of the people in this sentence.

Figures as authors and speakers include Bari Weiss, Jesse Singal, Lindsay and Pluckrose, Andy Ngo, and the Rubin Report.

For anyone who doesn’t know, Bari Weiss is a former New York Times Opinion Writer.

But the lessons that ought to have followed the election—lessons about the importance of understanding other Americans, the necessity of resisting tribalism, and the centrality of the free exchange of ideas to a democratic society—have not been learned. Instead, a new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else. – Bari Weiss

Jesse Singal is a former contributor to New York Magazine.

That’s a problem, because when people are led to believe things are falling apart, it affects their decision-making and their politics — whether or not their pessimism is warranted. We already know from political-psychological research that the more threatened people feel, the more likely they will be to support right-wing policies. And people who believe in the concept of unmitigated evil appear more likely to support torture and other violent policies. – Jesse Singal

Andy Ngo is a Journalist.

Federal authorities have arrested and charged a militant Antifa activist following a months-long domestic terrorism investigation into the attempting bombing of an occupied Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Atlanta. Richard Tyler Hunsinger, 28, was arrested early last month and charged with damaging or attempting to damage U.S. government property using fire, intimidation of a federal officer and depredation against U.S. property. – Andy Ngo

Dave Rubin is a former member of the Young Turks who now has his own YouTube channel.

OK, so the recall is going to happen because we know we have over two million signatures. You only need one point five. You know, there’s no doubt that they’re going to try to play with the numbers. But let’s let’s assume the recall goes through. The real question is, will enough people have woken up and said, hey, this guy is ruining the state? I my suspicion is yes, because because for a sort of dim as most people are, they don’t at least in California, you know, the weather’s nice. And I think it fries a lot of brains here. I think a lot of people look, nobody’s moving to California. Nobody is opening a business in California. You know what they’re doing? They’re moving to Florida. They’re moving to Texas. They’re getting the hell out of here. And I think enough people are waking up to that and going, all right, maybe this guy just should not be on charge. On top of the fact that, you know, he’s just he’s just a fraud and a buffoon and and he doesn’t deserve to be governor anymore. – Dave Rubin

Yesterday an article on Medium appeared – making the interesting claim that everyone who was disliked the second film in the recent Disney Star Wars Trilogy is probably also a member of this amorphous group.

We need to discuss how the hashtag campaigns calling for fans to boycott Solo: A Star Wars Story over hatred of The Last Jedi are led by bloggers who spread white supremacist ideology under the cover of pop-culture reporting. – In Plain Sight: How White Supremacy, Misogyny, and Hate Targeted the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy and Won

So basically “Alt-Right” now means someone who doesn’t pass some ever-shifting litmus test. And if the original article is true, is really into Royalty. But probably not.

Board footer