Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-03-09 09:28:19

Destry
Website

Web Monetization

Well, this was new to me (though much about the web is starting to be these days), Web Monetization, being proposed as a W3C standard. It appears to be based on Interleger, also new to me.

I like the idea:

The ability to transfer money has been a long-standing omission from the web platform. As a result, the web suffers from a flood of advertising and corrupt business models. Web Monetization provides an open, native, efficient, and automatic way to compensate creators, pay for API calls, and support crucial web infrastructure.

I found it via the discovery of this new mag, Compost, which uses Coil to easily implement WM for consumers, but content producers can use Coil, too. Puma Browser (another truc I’ve never heard of), is one so far that is WM-enabled, but it looks like Firefox will be WM-enabled at some point.

Something like this might encourage me to buckle down and finish more.

Oh, the 1-2-3 of getting started.

It seems, as a creator, that having a ‘digital wallet’ is fundamental to it all working. Maybe that’s the case for consumers as well. As far as I can tell, there are only two options for that, Uphold and GateHub, both out of UK, surprisingly (would have guessed the US when it comes to this kind of thing), but I’ve not really figured which is a better situation from the perspectives of infosec and volume (i.e. coffee money vs. house payments). Thoughts on that are welcome.

Last edited by Destry (2021-03-09 10:27:02)

#2 2021-03-09 12:46:05

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Web Monetization

See also publishers.basicattentiontoken.org/

Last edited by gaekwad (2021-03-09 12:46:16)

#3 2021-03-09 13:15:45

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

gaekwad wrote #329165:

See also publishers.basicattentiontoken.org/

What is it with everybody wanting to verify our existence? Sometimes I wish we were back in floppy disks days when there was just enough space for the essentials.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2021-03-09 17:05:05

Destry
Website

From the BAT cave (bat bold emphasis mine):

BAT has seen stunning results since its integration into the Brave browser’s first global private ad platform: 22.2 million monthly active users, 7.4 million daily active users, 1 million verified creators accepting BAT, millions of wallets created, thousands of ad campaigns with leading brands, and growing utility in the most innovative names in blockchain gaming. The results make BAT one of the most, if not the most, successful alt–coin projects to date.

Nothing about that sounds appealing to me. One too many uses of ‘ad campaigns’, ‘leasing brands’, and ‘blockchain gaming’ for my liking. But I guess that’s the crumbling world we live in. And this just makes it worse:

Users maintain privacy as they earn BAT for viewing ads.

Gaming is right. The ad world is always one step ahead of the curve.
In which case I guess creators still fill their sites full of ads for viewing? ‘You want privacy? Consume our ads.’ Uh… I’m just looking for the toilet.

No thanks.

I was going to ask if this was related to the proposed Web Monetization spec, but it does not sound like the same thing. I hope not. But if it is, tell me now.

#5 2021-03-09 18:31:41

Destry
Website

Yeah, pretty sure they are not related. BAT seems like some private scheme to continue supporting advertisers, and all that poison, whereas WM is more about simple transactions between web users: creators/consumers, artisans/art lovers, etc.

I think my almanossary project could be ideal for web monetizing. That label feels dirty off the tongue, but I’ll be following this now.

Board footer