Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2021-02-20 15:48:35

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: smd_textile_bar: Simple Textile insertion for the Write panel

If I kept marking all that up with deletions and inserts, the text would be so full of noise, whether visually or for screen reading software (presumably) that no one would want to bother wading through it.

I would normally agree with you but if you are publishing press releases for events which will take place at a particular time, and those events are postponed del and ins, is a good way to go. I am only mentioning this as we had to use these because of the chaos Covid-19 restrictions brought to our scheduling. ie. Opening: December 1, 2020 Postponed because of Covid-19 restrictions.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#62 2021-02-20 18:35:52

jrmartin
Website

I write quite oddly, but I make a living at it. I use strikethrough to indicate my unfiltered and uncorked view of the matter, and then follow this with the publicly sanitized version everyone prefers. So I like it, and use it sparingly.

james

#63 2021-02-21 01:39:54

Destry
Website

Colak,

That’s an example of the ‘keeping a record’ idea behind using them. And perfectly valid.

Bloke, JMartin,

Those are two interesting ways I would not have considered, kind of entertainment value.

Yeah, customizable adding and removing of such buttons on a personal basis is what I was implying, with the latter likely being the case for most people.

In tWriter I enhanced the presentation for deleted / inserted text, but I’ve removed the menu actions for them (and for many others) that were 4 clicks deep because the syntax is not so hard to remember.

They are also wrapping pair marks, so the start of the first mark auto-creates the second and puts the cursor in the middle. Much easier to just type these, as long as you know to type the first ~ or +.

As for button labels, Bloke, I don’t know. But ‘Strikeout’ and ‘Insert’ seem clear enough, or maybe ‘Comedy’ and ‘Tragedy’. ;)

#64 2021-02-21 06:52:30

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Many hours ago, I had started penning an answer with similar points as Destry.

Anyway, towndocks post

Is there any real difference between your strike-through (look – some editor’s note) and my delete (meaning), though? in both cases we are talking about something (string of characters) that needs omitting out of the narrative or has been removed from the narrative (text, document, codeblock, …).

Another reason to prefer “delete“ is that it is more culturally agnostic. Bureaucratic/administrative Japanese (and editorial) uses since at least the Edo period (16 century CE) a double line-through (and preferred with red ink) for the purpose of indication a removal. My memory fails me right now about the Chinese traditions, during the Qing dynasty a double line-through was used, iirc, the tradition is probably much older. And then we have the South-East / South / West Asian typographical traditions & rules…

PS – to add to the list of alternative use cases for “strike-through”: Flemish and German Dadaist Poets made regular use of this (ornamental) typographic technique — and this was not meant as a “delete”.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#65 2021-02-21 15:56:04

towndock
Website

phiw13 wrote #328997:

Is there any real difference between your strike-through (look – some editor’s note) and my delete (meaning), though? in both cases we are talking about something (string of characters) that needs omitting out of the narrative or has been removed from the narrative (text, document, codeblock, …).

Yeah, there is. The only time we use strike-through is as an editorial technique. I want the reader to see the text with the strike-through. If I wanted it deleted, it would be deleted and not visible.

I’m not publishing code, I publish what may be described as an odd online newspaper. So if I’m pondering beating our dull readers with a stick praising our readers for their brilliant discernment, strike-through is a useful tool. This is rarely used, but I’m glad through Textile it’s there.

Having the button bar easily customizable seems a great answer, as I can see this is viewed a bit differently by each commenter in this thread.

#66 2021-02-22 02:36:59

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

towndock wrote #329002:

Yeah, there is. The only time we use strike-through is as an editorial
technique. I want the reader to see the text with the strike-through.
If I wanted it deleted, it would be deleted and not visible.

So you use it mostly as a presentational device ? When I see such a line-through’ed string in a block of text I think something like “oh, the author intends us to skip over (omit…1) that string but left it in as something humorous… maybe.”

Under the hood you are still left with that <del /> tag though, and its associate semantic meaning. Your text maybe read by some bot, or (much more importantly I think) by a reader using some AT like a screen reader, which, depending on configuration, may dutifully report “delete”.

–^–

1 delete…

Last edited by phiw13 (2021-02-22 02:52:51)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer