Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2021-02-10 14:38:13

Mel

Re: Is it possible to develop a theme without Textpattern tags?

@Gaekwad

No, as we found some vulnerabilities on the CMS, and there are certainly others. So I will not disclose the websites that use this CMS

WolfCMS can easily produce this kind of performance as it is very simple… Take a look at the code.

#14 2021-02-10 14:43:43

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Mel wrote #328719:

No, as we found some vulnerabilities on the CMS, and there are certainly others. So I will not disclose the websites that use this CMS

Ah, no problem – I totally understand.

Depending on your use case, you would need to unpick the WolfCMS-specific parts and replace with Textpattern-flavoured alternatives, all your images, scripts, and so forth would be still be part of the page scaffold.

Textpattern tags are more human-readable than, say, Twig or similar PHP-based template languages. You may find some value here as a primer document.

#15 2021-02-10 14:49:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Never heard of it but it uses Textile :)

Investigating…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#16 2021-02-10 15:07:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Interesting. An MVC codebase with routing that reminds me a little bit of Fat-Free Framework (which is what I’d write Textpattern in if I was ever starting from scratch). Certainly looks like it’ll be fast, with PDO as its DB layer, as long as the templates are well written.

Last edited by Bloke (2021-02-10 15:11:06)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#17 2021-02-10 15:38:49

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

It looks like its public side is mainly plain PHP code, so it is as fast as the admin is skilful. I saw WolfCMS sites rate from 40 to 98.

#18 2021-02-10 15:44:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #328728:

it is as fast as the admin is skilful.

This. The same as Txp in that respect. Reusing template elements cleverly and minimising database calls by using tags that utilise already on-page data will go a long way towards making a site blisteringly fast.

#19 2021-02-10 15:51:15

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I’d say it’s more like using just one or few large <txp:php /> blocks with low-level API inside. So yes, to answer the OP question, it’s possible.

Edit: this said, our ‘API’ is not really intended to be used this way.

#20 2021-02-10 15:58:32

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Mel wrote #328699:

Hi,

We are looking for a new CMS to replace an old one, no more maintained by the author.

As the website speed is in the top of the list, we need to avoid anything that can add any delay.

So, we are wondering if it is possible to develop a theme without Textpattern tags?

Hi Mel, and welcome to the forum.

Textpattern can get 100%, both on mobile and Desktop. My site reaches the high 90s & some pages do score 100% with the use of tags. Txp is in active development for over 15 years and it is one of the fastest and most secure open source CMSs out there.

There are indeed other kids in the block, but would you take the chance to end up with an excellent software, whose developer(s) might give it up in 2 or 3 years?

Also, your limited experience in this forum may have already revealed to you that we have a tight, friendly, very helpful community here which you may find indispensable.

We’d be very happy if you indeed tried txp before committing as you may find that it runs like a breeze and that it can meet your requirements.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#21 2021-02-10 17:12:29

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Mel wrote #328711:

Thank you everyone.

We were thinking to do something like Jakob wrote. Moreover, I was thinking that Textpattern tags were much more like Twig (template engine) tags and the like.

For information, with the current unmaintained CMS, which makes intensive use of DB,
- we retrieve VERY heavy pages under ~130ms, on a “pretty cheap” server,
- we get 100 at PageSpeed tests,
- and with “not so much caching” (no html pages, “only” images, css and js assets)…

It depends what you call heavy pages.

One of my pages has over 70 images and gets a 99% score, another one has a text which is over 24,000 words and scores between 98% and 99%.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#22 2021-02-10 17:28:30

Mel

@colak

The issues with Texpattern tags are :
- we need time to learn them
- we need to translate old code to them

I could save a lot of time if I could avoid them…

As for heavy pages, take a look at this.

Anyway, I will think about it.

#23 2021-02-10 19:03:10

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Mel wrote #328734:

I could save a lot of time if I could avoid them…

You may be better with a static site generator if you want to avoid learning a new set of CMS terminology, though even with that you will still have some things to become familiar with.

If you have an active site that’s functionally OK but has a CMS that can be compromised, it might be prudent in the short term to export the site as-is as flat files, images, scripts etc, then run some speed tests on that…that would mitigate risk and give you some space to consider options for whatever the next phase involves.

#24 2021-02-11 10:18:56

Mel

It’s what we did with the “new website” you checked. But I think it will be a bad idea for all the websites, and in the near future to keep this solution for the former.

We use a custom SSGs solution for the latter, but seems we will soon reach the limit of such system, as the editors ask for more flexibility… And this start to be very time consuming for developers…

For the other websites, the situation will be worst especially since some require dynamic content. So SSGs will certainly lead us even faster to this kind of issues

Again too much time consuming for the developers, while a CMS will do the job without involving developer in such a wasting way.

Board footer