1. Index
  2. » How do I…?
  3. » define ihu

#1 2021-02-10 09:52:52

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

define ihu

I just noticed that in the distributed config-dist file there is the define ihu option which directs us to this forum thread. Does this mean that the txp db (and tags) can handle images residing in a subdomain?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2021-02-10 10:11:54

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: define ihu

Yep. Set that and all images are uploaded to and served from whatever (cookieless?) domain/subdomain of your choice. As long as you’re using the Txp image tags to form the image links/thumbnails, everything works seamlessly.

Last edited by Bloke (2021-02-10 10:14:12)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2021-02-10 11:13:22

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #328698:

Yep. Set that and all images are uploaded to and served from whatever (cookieless?) domain/subdomain of your choice. As long as you’re using the Txp image tags to form the image links/thumbnails, everything works seamlessly.

That sounds good! But allow me to understand it better. If I create a subdomain and define it in the cofig file (define('ihu', 'https://static.example.com/images/');), will I be able to use the txp admin interface to upload in that subdomain or will I need to use sftp?

If it is the second, how does txp know the size of the images or when I upload new ones there?

Yiannis
——————————

#4 2021-02-10 11:22:01

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

If your subdomain is an alias of your root domain (i.e. it just points to the root directory) then you can just upload images as normal and all works.

Note that in the modern age of faster connections and more parallel downloads from a single domain, this has less value than it did.

For Textpattern 4.9 I am investigating libraries that allow you to offload your images to a CDN/cloud service of your choice – which is kind of a better solution nowadays.

#5 2021-02-10 15:16:44

colak
Admin

philwareham wrote #328705:

If your subdomain is an alias of your root domain (i.e. it just points to the root directory) then you can just upload images as normal and all works.

Note that in the modern age of faster connections and more parallel downloads from a single domain, this has less value than it did.

For Textpattern 4.9 I am investigating libraries that allow you to offload your images to a CDN/cloud service of your choice – which is kind of a better solution nowadays.

I read about this too but I’m not convinced that it is not because of the cloud lobby down in Washington:)

What makes me consider this, is more the https, and people with slow connections on limited space computers. Images are better served by http, and by just having a faux subdomain in my root folder, would not do what I hoped that I could achieve.

No worries… Hopefully this will be available out of the box, in future txp versions.

Yiannis
——————————

#6 2021-02-10 15:25:48

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #328726:

Images are better served by http

Debatable… maybe less TLS overhead, yes. But you’d get mixed content warnings in modern browsers if your document was HTTPS and your assets were HTTP.

#7 2021-02-10 16:32:40

colak
Admin

philwareham wrote #328727:

Debatable… maybe less TLS overhead, yes. But you’d get mixed content warnings in modern browsers if your document was HTTPS and your assets were HTTP.

I can never keep up:)

Yiannis
——————————

1. Index
  2. » How do I…?
  3. » define ihu

Board footer