Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2021-02-01 10:26:09

Destry
Website

Re: Textpattern bundle for TextMate 2

marios2 wrote #328449:

I have never been able to find those file on disk using the operating system, not even with TM built-in file browser. I guess they are only visible within the shell.

Correct. I can only see them via command-line.

Even if you use ⇧⌘. to show hidden files in Finder, which at least gets you to the /Bundles directory, it won’t actually show you what is inside a bundle.

marios2 wrote #328402:

I do not support the Bundle anymore.

Understood. You agreed with the idea of putting it in a repo, however. Did you want to do that or let someone else?

I’m not trying to push or rush you. Just want to be clear on your intentions before I might do anything. ;)

I mean, I don’t want to be a maintainer of it either, because I’m still pretty much lost inside grammars and commands and don’t know what I’m doing. But I could at least make it available for others to fork.

I was hoping Team Txp might adopt our bundles under their flag, and then we could commit to them, respectively. But they haven’t been taking the bait, so probably no interest there.

Last edited by Destry (2021-02-01 10:39:51)

#14 2021-02-01 10:40:16

marios2

Destry wrote #328463:

Understood. You agreed with the idea of putting it in a repo, however. Did you want to do that or let someone else?

To be honest with you, I am a total GitHub noob. ( I have to learn this shit though sometime )
You have totally free hands, to put it in a repo, …nuff said, and maybe, we can work this out together somehow.
(Although this will take time, … lots of time.)

I will give you a detailed answer on your other questions and inquiries in a few hours.

rgrds, marios

Last edited by marios2 (2021-02-01 10:41:54)

#15 2021-02-01 10:59:20

Destry
Website

marios2 wrote #328464:

To be honest with you, I am a total GitHub noob. (I have to learn this shit though sometime)

Hey, I’m a veteran GitHub noob. The worst kind. I can do just enough to be totally not responsible enough to maintain anything. ;)

Frankly, I would not be in a rush to create a GitHub account; rather, look into one of the other many options that aren’t owned by big tech. All of them more or less support Git, which is really what you want to get familiar with.

The thing about GitHub is, it’s what Textpattern uses, so that’s the weather here in that respect. But if they don’t want to host such repos, then it doesn’t matter what repo provider you use.

In any case, I do currently have a GitHub account (I help with Txp docs), and I could put up the repos. If later you to decide to get a GitHub account, I’ll give you full access to the repo as a contributor and you can learn by playing with it. If at any time you feel comfortable enough, I’ll transfer ownership of the repo to you, gladly.

I’ll let you know when it’s up.

#16 2021-02-01 12:38:05

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Not sure if you can transfer repos. I think you can only fork. Not looked into it.

And don’t take silence to mean we’re not interested, haha. I’ve never used TM and I’m not entirely sure what it is you’re trying to achieve. Is it just syntax highlighting or macros to insert oft-used pre-built tag templates? Or both? Or something else?

I know mistersugar uses MarsEdit to post content wholesale to Txp from an external editor. Is TM a bit like that, but for code? So you manage your templates in a more familiar desktop editor, a bit prettier than the web text areas, and then when you save they get transmitted to the server?

The parallel discussion on syntax highlighting in the admin side textareas may be of interest. Perhaps there’s some commonality here for regexes and so forth to be shared? Or an improved editing workflow to be considered.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#17 2021-02-01 13:02:26

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry replying to Marios2

I have never been able to find those file on disk using the operating system, not even with TM built-in file browser. I guess they are only visible within the shell.

Destry wrote #328463:

Correct. I can only see them via command-line.

Even if you use ⇧⌘. to show hidden files in Finder, which at least gets you to the /Bundles directory, it won’t actually show you what is inside a bundle.

If this is the standard macOS Bundle format, you could ctrl-click or right-click on the bundle, the context menu then shows you a menu item named like “show Package contents” or similar.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#18 2021-02-01 13:14:09

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #328469:

you could ctrl-click or right-click on the bundle, the context menu then shows you a menu item named like “show Package contents” or similar.

Bingo. I didn’t think this would work since that directory is outside the TextMate installation, but it works.

There you go, Marios.

I still prefer the command-line, though.

#19 2021-02-01 13:19:25

marios2

Bloke wrote #328467:

Not sure if you can transfer repos. I think you can only fork. Not looked into it.

You can fork any repo , I think. But I would leave the repo with Destry anyway.

And don’t take silence to mean we’re not interested, haha. I’ve never used TM and I’m not entirely sure what it is you’re trying to achieve. Is it just syntax highlighting or macros to insert oft-used pre-built tag templates? Or both? Or something else?

Well,… … … it is not only the syntax hi lighting. ( Or macros ) Mostly commands and snippets. Snippets in TM have variables ( As many as you like,… or even nested variables ) Let’s say you want to insert a sceleton of a textmate tag with different attributes and values, you can set this up in the bundle Editor in a matter of a few minutes… you can assign a tab trigger like art for article and then you just tab through the whole attributes and values in order to fill in the blanks or delete them all together with backspace. Even more powerful are the commands. Or try the escape button to cycle through possible tags/values and so on. The possibilities are endless.

( Or take a look at the file drop actions for instance,…what this allows you to do, is to transform the inserted code for a file according to the scope of a file.)

Also, when everything is set up as should be, you can edit your html and txp code in the same document-type.

I know mistersugar uses MarsEdit to post content wholesale to Txp from an external editor. Is TM a bit like that, but for code? So you manage your templates in a more familiar desktop editor, a bit prettier than the web text areas, and then when you save they get transmitted to the server?

No, but in TM1 you could use a key equivalent , when the focus was in a textarea input field, and it would automagically open the content as a new file in TM, now you could edit and save in Textpattern.

In my opinion TM is the best editor there is in the mac universe, simple, fast, concise, with tons of features under the hood, … downside is , there is virtually no documentation for version 2.

rgrds, …marios

Last edited by marios2 (2021-02-01 13:21:50)

#20 2021-02-01 14:16:13

Destry
Website

Bloke,

Yes to your guesses, but also what Marios was saying. I’m no TextMate master, but TM bundles are essentially like Txp plugins, you can create whatever you can imagine to get whatever extended functionality you want from it.

TextMate includes about 240 bundles give or take, most of which are language support bundles and then themes to those languages, expectedly. But there are also some that do things like integrate with Panic’s Transmit SFTP client, so you can upload a set of files from your editor directly to production. And I would imagine if Txp had an API, you could build a bundle to publish directly to Txp. Maybe you could even set that up now like MarsEdit. I don’t know. I’m not a developer. ;) But I do know there are a lot more specialty bundles out there than what TextMate actually includes. I come across them in GitHub now and then.

What I imagine would have immediate value to TM and Txp users since themes functionality landed is using the Txp bundle for themes development, writing .txp templates and packaging them up as a TM project. That seems like a hand/glove relationship.

Of course, many other editors can probably do that, but how many other editors are supporting txp language and .txp file format at this point. I don’t know.

The bundle I’m working on is less interesting than Marios’s, though not for me. It’s a Textile language bundle that provides an iA Writer-like experience for drafting articles. Something I’ve wanted for years and should have looked into doing a lot sooner.

Anyway, I don’t mind hosting these repos, but I’m hardly the person to be managing pull requests or whatever. I can’t even figure out TM grammars, commands, snippets, etc.

Btw, at the very bottom of a repository’s Settings page, in the ‘Danger Zone’…

Transfer ownership
Transfer this repository to another user or to an organization where you have the ability to create repositories.

So I guess you would give me temporary ‘create’ rights and then I could transfer the repo to Txp, then you un-rights me again to just that repo.

Alternatively, I could just delete the repo I created before loading anything into it. Either way. I might as well get it partially setup first and give Marios a chance to slip back into the fold. ;)

Last edited by Destry (2021-02-01 14:37:00)

#21 2021-02-01 14:34:18

Destry
Website

Repo ReadMe.

Bundle coming next.

If/when you have a GitHub account, Marios, let me know. And if you do get that far, I recommend the GitHub client for interacting with the repo. Clone the bundle to the /Bundles directory and you have live link there. The client is little easier than memorizing git commands in the CLI, and safer than editing files directly in the repo (in case of collaboration conflicts).

#22 2021-02-01 15:19:27

Destry
Website

Initial bundle is setup in repo.

I guess it needs a License section at bottom of ReadMe? Marios or Team… what do you suggest?

See the short license of the Textile bundle maintained by TextMate.

In relation to that, there was something about TextMate going open source because of Apple conflicts? Maybe see the history in the mediawiki article. I don’t know. Licensing shiza is not my area.

Marios, do I have your last name correct in the ReadMe? Do you want to be identified by something else?

All suggestions welcome for ReadMe changes.

Last edited by Destry (2021-02-01 15:22:39)

#23 2021-02-01 16:34:47

marios2

Destry wrote #328474:

Repo ReadMe.!

I specifically like this section:

LICENSE:
(Forthcoming from the Txp advisory council)

Now, who are the council members?
haha !

If/when you have a GitHub account, Marios, let me know. And if you do get that far, I recommend the GitHub client for interacting with the repo. Clone the bundle to the /Bundles directory and you have live link there. The client is little easier than memorizing git commands in the CLI, and safer than editing files directly in the repo (in case of collaboration conflicts).

I already have a GitHub account, I just didn’t do anything with it.
It so happens, that TM2 also has a git bundle.
Thanks for the advice.

In relation to that, there was something about TextMate going open source because of Apple conflicts? Maybe see the history in the mediawiki article. I don’t know. Licensing shiza is not my area.

It is already open-source for a long time now, ….you can find the repo on GitHub.

Yes to your guesses, but also what Marios was saying. I’m no TextMate master, but TM bundles are essentially like Txp plugins, you can create whatever you can imagine to get whatever extended functionality you want from it.

Exactly. My second editor choice would be actually Visual Studio Code, … but can you as easily adapt an extension there as to your likings in a few minutes? You can’t. It is also slow and convoluted, too many extensions for the same thing, too many panes in the way and too many menu options.

Marios, do I have your last name correct in the ReadMe? Do you want to be identified by something else?

Büttner/Buettner is the Last Name. I was living in Greece for 20 Years and was baptized as Marios in the Orthodox Faith. So this is my on-line moniker.

I guess it needs a License section at bottom of ReadMe? Marios or Team… what do you suggest?

Uuuuh, what a question.
….What license do you use for your Textile Bundle? Let’s just take the same thing, or isn’t it licensed yet?

rgrds, marios

Last edited by marios2 (2021-02-01 16:53:43)

#24 2021-02-01 17:57:45

Destry
Website

Downloaded. Thanks!

marios2 wrote #328476:

What license do you use for your Textile Bundle? Let’s just take the same thing, or isn’t it licensed yet?

I was just going to use the same as the TM textile bundle, since that’s where it started from. I wouldn’t know what else to use.

Last edited by Destry (2021-02-01 20:03:05)

Board footer