Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-02-01 08:46:34

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Monday morning reading

Periodic reminder – plain simple HTML matters!

The unreasonable effectiveness of simple HTML

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2021-02-01 09:39:49

Destry
Website

Re: Monday morning reading

Nice one.

#3 2021-02-01 18:04:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Good read.

I’m all about the HTML and CSS. Love fast websites that work just about anywhere, degrading if appropriate. That’s kinda why I like Project Gemini. Although that’s going back a bit too far and reminds me of text-based browsers like Lynx, it’s nice to get content that you can read without:

• waiting 10s for the page to begin rendering
  • having to reject every cookie under the sun again because they’ve decided that some partners have Legitimate Interest in my data
  • being inconvenienced as the page reshuffles and shoves content I was trying to read off the page a few times, based (allegedly) on my choices
  • showing me content in a postage-stamp-sized rectangle surrounded by ads like those ol’ AOL browser days, or telling me I can’t read the content because a) I’m in the EU, b) I haven’t accepted the right cookies, or c) I have an ad blocker so they can’t show me anything until I switch it off.

Last edited by Bloke (2021-02-01 18:05:02)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2021-02-02 08:45:02

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #328480:

[…] a) I’m in the EU […]

was*

(Spoiler alert!)

#5 2021-02-02 09:27:59

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #328480:

I’m all about the HTML and CSS. Love fast websites that work just about anywhere, degrading if appropriate. That’s kinda why I like Project Gemini. Although that’s going back a bit too far and reminds me of text-based browsers like Lynx, it’s nice to get content that you can read without […]

Project Gemini sure is interesting even though there is a bit too much kumbayah feeling around.

To your “without”, you can add: without

• having to load megatons of javascript libraries, 96% of which is unused (probably);
  • and without having to endure reminders that that “beautifullll website” is made to work only on the latest version of the browser known as ‘spyware produced by an advertisement and profiling corporation’.

The state of the web is beyond sad – labelling it as depressing would be an insult to that word.
(and you and I are both using fairly powerful devices with up-to-date software and fast network access with largish, nearly unlimited bandwidth)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#6 2021-02-02 09:51:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #328485:

was*

True, hehe.

As far as the world is concerned though, the UK version of the GDPR still applies so the presence of the EU is still felt, and sites still continue to hound visitors with cookie notices.

Not wishing to derail the thread, but what I find amusing is that – in order to cover their arses from litigation – the predictable outcome of the GDPR has been that ‘manage my choices’ panels have grown to swathes of legalese and hundreds of input controls and tabs so that consumers have all the information and can’t be told they didn’t (and incidentally, most of these panels are impossible to navigate on small devices).

This leads to the “whatever, whatever just go away” approach, clicking to accept terms without reading (much like licence terms when using software) because there’s too much to read and better things to do.

Reminds me of virus scanners that popped up messages every few minutes asking “are you sure you want this program to run cos it might be a virus?” until you became message-blind, didn’t bother reading anything and clicked yes every time, which negates the usefulness of the tool.

Anyway, yeah, good additions, phiw13!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer