Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-01-15 17:44:57

yohjimata

Textpattern Post Setup Diagnostics

Hello everyone
I am very new to textpattern and also kinda new to the world of hosting a webserver. I searched for this specific error but did not find anything helpful. Excuse me if I oversaw the post if already existing.

My problem is the following: I am running the post setup diagnostics, and see the following critical errors:
{dirtype} is not writable (Image, File, Theme and Plugin directory).

I found the Diagnostics troubleshooting page and saw the following footnote:
The discrepancy is due to how Apache directives are configured on the web server, meaning a server administrator or web host may need to intervene and change the directives.

It also mentions to change the hosting site if an admin is refusing to intervene. But as I am the administrator and do not know what exactly to configure (chanage the directives) it is kinda hard for me to change hoster :)

Thanks for your help in advance and have a nice weekend.

#2 2021-01-15 18:05:47

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Textpattern Post Setup Diagnostics

do you have access to the directory where textpattern is installed? If so you should be able change the permissions on those Folders mentioned. Change to Octal 775

…. texted postive

#3 2021-01-15 18:31:57

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Welcome to Textpattern and sorry for the early road bump.

Yes, this issue normally relates to the way your host has set up access restrictions. Try the suggestion bici mentioned if you have File Manager on your hosting Control Panel software (or sometimes FTP clients allow you to change permissions on folders).

If that value doesn’t make the warning disappear then try “fully open” (777) and let us know your hosting provider so we can keep an eye on them, as 777 shouldn’t be required these days.

I’m also not sure why you’re seeing an untranslated language string in Diagnostics. That’s worrying. What version of Textpattern have you installed? And what language did you select on the first step of the setup process?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2021-01-15 18:33:09

Destry
Website

(Bici and Bloke beat me to the punch.)

yohjimata wrote #328175:

I am running the post setup diagnostics, and see the following critical errors:
{dirtype} is not writable (Image, File, Theme and Plugin directory).

It just means that for each directory indicated, you need to change the read/write access so Textpattern can add content to those directories, as needed.

There are at least a couple ways you can do this.

If you are familiar with the command-line, you can use chmod.
Using the /images directory as example (in context of being in the install location):

chmod 755 images

Repeat the same for each directory. The /plugins and /tmp directories are in the /textpattern directory, for example:

chmod 755 textpattern/plugins

Or you can use your SFTP client to make the changes. Browse to the directories one at a time, right-click on the directory, then click ‘Get Info’, then change the Octal value to 755.

The discrepancy is due to how Apache directives are configured on the web server, meaning a server administrator or web host may need to intervene and change the directives . . . It also mentions to change the hosting site if an admin is refusing to intervene.

This stuff has to do with the Octal value…

755 is a recommended value, but after 17 years of using Textpattern and a number of different web hosts, I’ve never been able to use 755 and make diagnostics errors go away, whether for local development or on a hosted server. And I’m not about to start barking at web hosts about it now.

So, if 755 doesn’t work, use the less secure value of 777. It’s unlikely you’ll have problems.

If anyone else can give a simple 1-2-3 about how to configure Apache so 755 does work. Please share.

Last edited by Destry (2021-01-15 18:35:01)

#5 2021-01-16 19:43:39

yohjimata

Hello everyone and thanks all the answers
To clear some things up. I am not using a webhost, I am managing the whole environment on my own.
As indicated in the “troubleshooting diagnostics” section , I tried setting the permissions on 755. This worked on a directory level, but did not solve my problem. After setting the permissions to 777 (full access), the error disappeared but I do not like to set f ull permissions. I think it might be a problem with my apache configuration, but did not figure it out just now. Maybe someone knows and/or had experience with this behaviour.

This is the post which I am referring to:
https://docs.textpattern.com/setup/troubleshooting-diagnostics

As for the “untraslated” language strings, I inserted the {dirttype} manually, because I did not want to post the whole error line, to keep my post short.

Have a nice evening

#6 2021-01-17 08:34:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Ah good. Glad the untranslated string was just your way of writing it out. Thought we’d missed something in the code!

As for permissions, did you try 775?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer