Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-01-12 11:01:06

dorijan

Taking care of symlinks with php

Is there a way of making php-script, for example symlink.php or alike, which will take care of symlinks in a multi-site installation.
If it has been answered please reference, joined recently..
Also willing to participate in further improvements in translation to Serbian.
All the best, d.

Thrive on simplicity

#2 2021-01-12 12:29:10

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Taking care of symlinks with php

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, thank you for the offer of translation help. We manage all our translations on Crowdin so please register a free account there and join in.

Secondly, when you say “take care” of symlinks with a PHP file, I’m not entirely sure what you mean. Although there are some standard ways you can set up a symlink system, the beauty of it is that you are not tied to a particular structure.

I know of people who symlink entire client areas to different versions of Textpattern so they run multiple clients on various versions and can ‘upgrade’ any client by simply breaking a link and making a new one to a later version, then logging into the admin interface.

Perhaps if you could give us a little background on what it is you’re trying to achieve with your site(s) and how you want to make it easier to manage them, we can help you with scripts or ideas.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2021-01-12 15:09:49

dorijan

Thank you for your fast response.
I have registered in crowdin and will do my best there.
With regard to this issue.. Plan is a website with blog community.
Preffered option, when adding new members/sites, is to have one common file/script with predefined symlink system pointing to shared content (textpattern installation, themes, vendors..) rather than making them manually every time. (Symlinks could not be created. Please create symlinks manually..)
Thanks d.

Thrive on simplicity

#4 2021-01-13 15:34:19

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Hmmm, so when you create a new site, you want a shell script (or some code) that knows where your Txp is on disk (or asks which one to link to, for those people that have more than one) and creates the necessary file system scaffolding to hook up your new site to it?

Anyone done any scripting like this? Anything behind the scenes in the demo site that can be repurposed here?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer