Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-01-05 15:13:01

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Encrypt your images - adversarial

For those up[loading family photos on the web, adversarial is a webapp that alters images in order to make them machine-unreadable, while leaving them visually almost indistinguishable from the original for the human eye. I know that it is not really an encryption, but a step towards the right direction anyway.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2021-01-05 15:52:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Encrypt your images - adversarial

Clever!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2021-01-05 16:39:23

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #328049:

Clever!

Indeed. Could this become a txp plugin some time not in the near future or is it too complex?

Yiannis
——————————

#4 2021-02-20 18:35:16

marios2

It is basically deleting the meta data from the exif file info of the image, if that is a jpeg.

rgrds , marios

#5 2021-02-21 06:55:20

colak
Admin

marios2 wrote #328994:

It is basically deleting the meta data from the exif file info of the image, if that is a jpeg.

rgrds , marios

Adversarial does more than that. It confuses the AI into not recognising the content of the photo.

Yiannis
——————————

#6 2021-02-21 10:10:22

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #328051:

Indeed. Could this become a txp plugin some time not in the near future or is it too complex?

As I understand it – and I am calling for anyone with corrections and additions to jump in – image processing on PHP-based web applications like Textpattern need to have either PHP-powered code to do the work or use system utilities to do the same.

The dev team are intending to implement better image handling using Image Intervention, which fits into the “PHP-powered code” option above. Image processing can sometimes be very intensive work for a processor, and it’s arguably important to not be a “noisy neighbour” on web hosting with excessive resource use.

My gut feeling would be this is the job of a local application until the tech evolves / matures, rather than a plugin…whether or not it becomes sufficiently widespread enough to be adopted by web apps, only time will tell!

Edit: I submitted Adversarial to Hacker News for discussion and it gave me a few hundred fake internet points while I was asleep, which was a nice surprise. Good find, Yiannis!

Last edited by gaekwad (2021-02-21 10:11:44)

#7 2021-02-21 15:49:15

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #329000:

I submitted Adversarial to Hacker News for discussion and it gave me a few hundred fake internet points while I was asleep, which was a nice surprise. Good find, Yiannis!

I since spoke with one of the developers who admitted that they created the app as a proof of concept and since added to their site that it only works against Google Inception V.3. Our discussion also revealed that their aim was not to find a solution against machine recognition but to bring that to the forefront of discussion. The actual solution would be to make such machine learning software illegal or at least limited in their scope.

Your discussion in Hacker news is indeed very interesting. I’ll send it to him, if it is OK by you.

>Edited to add: Further to the discussion above, here’s a short Twitter chat

Last edited by colak (2021-02-21 16:50:42)

Yiannis
——————————

#8 2021-02-22 01:01:01

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #329001:

The actual solution would be to make such machine learning software illegal or at least limited in their scope.

If machine learning software is outlawed, only outlaws will have machine learning software.

#9 2021-02-22 08:45:36

Destry
Website

This reminds me of the ‘fight climate change caused by technology with more technology’ downward spiral (because capitalism), instead of not doing the problematic things to begin with.

In this case, don’t put photographs of your loved ones online. It’s a no-brainer. AI recognition is the least of the worries here.

Send print photos of the family to grandma by snail mail instead. Strangers do not need to see photos of your loved ones, period, and only the sickos will want to anyway.

Sounds like the creator is on the right track, though, to show that policy is needed against such blatant use of AI ability.

But, as always, the real measure of protection comes from the individual not putting themselves and others at risk to begin with.

#10 2021-02-22 09:07:33

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #329001:

Your discussion in Hacker news is indeed very interesting. I’ll send it to him, if it is OK by you.

Of course – I simply submitted for discussion.

#11 2021-02-22 15:39:30

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #329015:

Of course – I simply submitted for discussion.

From Francis (This is for Pete)

… thanks a lot for channeling it to ycombinator. We’ve got a bunch of offers for participating in the project through this!

Yiannis
——————————

#12 2021-02-22 15:59:24

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Ah, the power of the network! Fantastic.

Board footer