Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-12-19 00:41:23

Destry
Website

Re: Alternative apache + php install

phiw13 wrote #327596:

For many years I have relied on the default Apache+PHP install on macOS for my testing and playground. It looks like that might end soon

I have been doing like you for a long time, using the native server and PHP. Though along the line they were not keeping the PHP up fast enough for my liking, so I switched to a package recommended by php.net, which was this one: Liip, which was mostly easy to setup, even for a server dunce like me. But it looks like I won’t be using that anymore. They recommend Homebrew, and since I use that for MySQL instead of macOS’s other DB brand, I will probably go with Homebrew php, too.

#14 2020-12-19 00:49:00

Destry
Website

By the way, here are the other php.net package options for macOS, just in case. Not well maintained, apparently.

Last edited by Destry (2020-12-19 00:52:27)

#15 2020-12-19 00:55:21

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gomedia wrote #327648:

I’ve always used coolestguidesontheplanet.com.

That is one of the resources I used years ago too :-). Since Apple is moving towards not including PHP in its OS package, we have to find ways to move on.

Destry wrote #327653:

[…] which was this one: Liip, which was mostly easy to setup, even for a server dunce like me.

That is where I found the series of articles I linked in my OP for setting up the Homebrew provided packages.

–^–
I am almost convinced by going the Homebrew route, and then maybe add Valet that Jakob suggests for easing the management. Maybe the little Applescript(s) I’ve used in the past will still be useful and enough for my needs.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#16 2020-12-19 11:14:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #327650:

If you found some time, a simple ordered list for VirtualBox would be great — a plain .txt file suffices :-). TY.

Consider it added to the list.

#17 2020-12-19 11:38:31

Destry
Website

Being my mbp is 10 years old and tops out with High Sierra (10.13.6), I should probably look at an alternative situation too, at least for Apache. I’m not using mamp, though. I tried that many years ago and didn’t like it; that’s what had me go native to begin with, which fit better to my tendency for lower footprint.

Last edited by Destry (2020-12-19 11:41:35)

#18 2021-04-08 11:42:11

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Resurrecting an old thread to add Devilbox to the list for consideration.

#19 2021-04-08 12:55:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Ooh, shiiiiiny.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#20 2021-04-08 18:03:45

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Yeah, the TLS stuff is interesting – I haven’t used it in anger yet, I’m way behind the curve on all things container-y, but there’s some really interesting stuff in there.

#21 2021-04-09 02:23:08

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #329720:

Resurrecting an old thread to add Devilbox to the list for consideration.

Hmm. Interesting. The intro text / documentation on that GH page is quite a little heavy on insider jargon, though. After reading the page I am not very clear on the install/config route. One thing I will credit MAMP, despite my general heavy dislike for their attitude and the poor UI of the installed package, is the excellent human readable documentation. Full praise for that.

–^–

For my own needs, I went the Homebrew route, their Apache & PHP (8 & 7.4) packages. Works nicely on MacOS 11. I use the MySQL 8 package directly from Oracle, with its easy-to-use-and-configure MacOS installer.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#22 2021-04-12 08:00:16

Algaris

After trying various solutions on my Mac I decided to setup my own Ubuntu server.

On the server I install PHP, MySQL, and any dependencies that are needed for my projects. I now do all of my work on the server using a Samba share to the www folder so that I can open and save files from my Mac.

For my servers I’ve used an old iMac and just recently a Raspberry Pi 4. Currently I’m thinking about building a PC to run True NAS so that I can have multiple servers to keep my various projects separate from each other.

—edit— Fixed typo.

Last edited by Algaris (2021-04-12 10:20:50)

#23 2021-04-12 08:56:01

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Algaris wrote #329782:

After trying various solutions my Mac I decided to setup my own Ubuntu server.

On the server I install PHP, MySQL, and any dependencies that are needed for my projects. I now do all of my work on the server using a Samba share to the www folder so that I can open and save files from my Mac.

For my servers I’ve used an old iMac and just recently a Raspberry Pi 4. Currently I’m thinking about building a PC to run True NAS so that I can have multiple servers to keep my various projects separate from each other.

This is literally what I did & still do. Works really well. I use a Pi 2 for simple sites, Pi 3B more complex stuff, and eBay is great for picking cheap ones if you’re patient. TrueNAS is what I use for NAS storage here in the office, and once you get your head around the terminology, it’s fantastic.

Last edited by gaekwad (2021-04-12 08:57:41)

#24 2021-04-15 07:38:24

Algaris

gaekwad wrote #329784:

This is literally what I did & still do. Works really well.

I got fed up of constantly tinkering with my Mac (and invariably bodging something up) to get my web dev environment up and running. In the end I decided I just wanted to keep my Mac and dev environment separate. Every now and again Linux shows me how much I have to learn when I end up banging my head against permissions because I can no longer save files to or delete files from my Samba share (usually a quick sudo chmod -R ugo+rw /var/www/html fixes this) but it makes for an interesting ride as I learn more about administering Linux servers. I just have to beef up my knowledge about security and hardening them.

I settled on the idea of TrueNAS when I found you can easily spin up and destroy multiple virtual machines as needed. I realised the amount of tinkering and different projects I like to work on was unsustainable on one server as not all of the software would play nice together. Originally I thought of Raspberry Pi’s, now that you can run a full version of Ubuntu Server on them, but that would mean buying multiple Pi’s. So TrueNAS seems the way to go. I was originally looking at the open source Xen Hypervisor but it’s way above my knowledge and ability to setup.

Board footer