#85 2020-12-17 18:55:46

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Fookin' GAFM, again

Destry wrote #327581:

Wow. This gets better as it goes.

Facebook Is a Doomsday Machine

Vivre LaFrance !

I read that piece yesterday. I found it very entertaining.

Summary: Facebook is an Authoritarian State that refuses to ban the users and content that we demand they ban.

I found it sort of contradictory, though.

#86 2020-12-17 22:14:56

Destry
Website

michaelkpate wrote #327583:

Summary: Facebook is an Authoritarian State that refuses to ban the users and content that we demand they ban.

I almost didn’t read it because of the doomsday machine opening and analogy. It only got interesting for me at the anthropology stuff, about the max number of people we, as humans, can maintain a social connection with (about 148, apparently, which seems way high to me); likewise 20 to 20,000 is the ideal range for a good community before it becomes noise and chaos.

I think that speaks to our community here, its longevity and the quality of what comes out of it; not despite being small, but because of it.

Bodes well for the fediverse, too, I think, and it’s interesting ecology of decentralized instances of different software, each a community of its own within a bigger community. It doesn’t need to compete with big tech. It’s not the same thing. Small and local is good. Hook up to the cyber Silk Road or don’t.

The new Gemini explorers. Same thing. And other interesting and more conscientious endeavors spinning out of the foul period of Silicon Valley, surveillance capitalism, and growth economics.

LaFrance seems to get to that by the end, as something to aim for, which is the real point, as I took it.

The fourth to last graph is the best one, I think, which begins:

Anyone who is serious about mitigating the damage done to humankind by the social web should, of course, consider quitting Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and any other algorithmically distorted informational environments that manipulate people.

She cops out, though, as so many journos do when rightly critiquing those platforms, with the wishy-washy passive use of consider quitting. Change that to a simple and strong use of quit and it’s a solid message.

The para goes on to get to the point that matters, though: rethinking humanity’s relationship with the internet.

#87 2020-12-18 04:56:04

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #327585:

Bodes well for the fediverse, too, I think, and it’s interesting ecology of decentralized instances of different software, each a community of its own within a bigger community. It doesn’t need to compete with big tech. It’s not the same thing. Small and local is good. Hook up to the cyber Silk Road or don’t.

I think so as well. I think we would all be better off if we went back to blogging on our own platforms.

She cops out, though, as so many journos do when rightly critiquing those platforms, with the wishy-washy passive use of consider quitting. Change that to a simple and strong use of quit and it’s a solid message. The para goes on to get to the point that matters, though: rethinking humanity’s relationship with the internet.

As a Journalist, she wants two things: 1) For all of us to leave Facebook and 2) Pay for her content rather than producing their own. Personally, I’d be happy to see The Atlantic go back to being a New England Literary Magazine the way it was for most of the last 163 years.

#88 2020-12-18 05:36:43

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Facebook publicly complains that Apple’s new IOS privacy settings will prevent them from helping small businesses, as it will no longer be able to collect/commodify the users’ data without their consent.
www.theverge.com/2020/12/16/22178068/facebook-apple-newspaper-ads-ios-privacy-changes

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#89 2020-12-18 06:31:32

Destry
Website

michaelkpate wrote #327589:

. . . 2) Pay for her content rather than producing their own.

I guess you mean our own.

Yeah, for sure, but then she she’s an editor of a magazine.

I’d be happy to see The Atlantic go back to being a New England Literary Magazine the way it was for most of the last 163 years.

Me too. And many others. That’s one of the fallouts and change-ups I hope happen when the big tech companies are broken apart. Though perhaps something a bit new and interesting in the materials, distribution, and business sides of things. Could a magazine be a commons or cooperative? We need more varieties of both in the future anyway.

Another good move for the future is blow up all the stock markets. As long as money is the driver of everything, not much will change. So I guess not much will change. ;)

#90 2020-12-18 13:40:54

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #327591:

I guess you mean our own.

I phrased it that way deliberately because she doesn’t consider herself one of us – she is one of the enlightened gatekeepers who is empowered to bring Truth to the huddled masses. Our job is not to create but to consume.

#91 2021-01-07 09:58:18

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #327590:

Facebook publicly complains that Apple’s new IOS privacy settings will prevent them from helping small businesses, as it will no longer be able to collect/commodify the users’ data without their consent.
www.theverge.com/2020/12/16/22178068/facebook-apple-newspaper-ads-ios-privacy-changes

The changes are still on track for a January 2021 release. Developers (games dev companies – not small fish) are drowning in crocodile tears and looking at all ways to work around the blocking. Financial Times reposted on ArsTechnica.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#92 2021-01-07 16:26:58

jakob
Admin
Website

The Small Technology FoundationAral Balkan and Laura Kalbag – have embarked on a weekly podcast on small tech starting with Small is Beautiful. A new episode discussing their projects Better Blocker and site.js coming up in the next hour…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#93 2021-01-23 07:35:24

zero
Website

A shortish, to-the-point article by Shoshan Zuboff on Time

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#94 2021-02-01 06:36:18

colak
Admin

their.tube is a site that makes the echo chambers created by YouTube visible.

Yiannis
——————————

#95 2021-02-01 08:42:05

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #328452:

their.tube is a site that makes the echo chambers created by YouTube visible.

Nice find!

That issue (the great YT suggestions AI god) need much highlighting but will probably fall on death ears about everywhere if my experience is worth anything :–(

(and their icons / robots look cool)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#96 2021-02-01 13:19:30

colak
Admin

phiw13 wrote #328456:

Nice find!

That issue (the great YT suggestions AI god) need much highlighting but will probably fall on death ears about everywhere if my experience is worth anything :–(

(and their icons / robots look cool)

I’m a heretic:) I still use google, but via startpage.com. I’ve set my heavily customised FF browser to delete all cookies except my sites’ logins, at the end of each session. I use another browser for my social media, and webmail needs. I know that the IP and mac address do not change, but at the same time, my add and cookie blockers are making life more difficult for them.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer