Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-11-25 09:53:08

zero
Website

Custom bass guitars ebass.uk

ebass

Untested on retina.

I can’t access it on my Windows 7 machine. Perhaps because I’ve got robots.txt with

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

and I have <meta name="robots" content="none"> on all pages until it goes live ?

Thanks for any feedback

Edit: It’s IE and Flashpeak Slimbrowser that won’t connect. Slimjet will.

Last edited by zero (2020-11-25 10:09:18)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2020-11-25 16:13:23

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Custom bass guitars ebass.uk

Hi Pete,
Nice! I have no idea why you cannot access it via win 7. Did you try deleting or renaming the robots.txt if you think that it is the culprit?

One minor suggestion regarding the form, the font of which I find too small, especially because of the background. On my screen adding the following, corrects it makes it more legible.

input,textarea {
font-size: 100%;
}

Last edited by colak (2020-11-25 16:31:32)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2020-11-25 16:38:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

A lovely looking site, Peter. Great stuff! Almost a shame I don’t play bass…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2020-11-25 16:50:35

zero
Website

Thanks, Yiannis, I’ve done that and made the font bold too. Is it easily readable now?

Regarding win7, I think it’s IE really, which I don’t use apart from testing. The client, who is a good friend of mine and the most computer illiterate person I’ve ever known, cannot connect using IE on his wife’s so-cluttered-it-takes-minutes-to-move-from-site-to-site windows 10 machine, but gets on with Firefox, eventually. I thought perhaps it was IE thinking it was a robot and obeying robots directives, but I’ve removed those now and the site is live and we still can’t get on with IE.

I now think the problem is the way some browsers (I’ve noticed it on some people’s mobiles) have relegated the address bar but they have a search bar instead and typing the exact url in still leads to web search rather than going direct to the site. If search engines have been blocked by robots.txt or meta robot thingies, then they have no results to show and we get an error message about cannot access this site. On my win7, IE and slimbrowser do likewise with an immediate search instead of going direct to the site (at least that’s the way it is with ebass.uk)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#5 2020-11-25 16:52:01

zero
Website

Bloke wrote #327057:

A lovely looking site, Peter. Great stuff! Almost a shame I don’t play bass…

Thanks, Stef, I’ll tell the client!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#6 2020-11-25 18:17:38

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

zero wrote #327058:

Thanks, Yiannis, I’ve done that and made the font bold too. Is it easily readable now?

yep!!! Signs of getting old I guess.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2020-11-25 18:27:03

zero
Website

So

colak wrote #327060:

yep!!! Signs of getting old I guess.

So many variations in browsers I noticed today, trying to get a view of the site on different ones. On FF, Opera and Calibri in Linux that I use, my normal 100% view is something like Safari’s 133% view or Windows slimjet 125%. I got one or two screen shots from those cross-browser testing sites and they also are about 75% of my normal view. I’d soon alter my settings if I was using any of those. Yep, signs of getting old!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#8 2020-11-25 19:59:43

bici
Website Mastodon

zero wrote #327048:

ebass

Thanks for any feedback

Subtlety Sublime!

Is the design/css hand crafted or based on some bootstrap theme?

…. texted postive

#9 2020-11-25 21:59:29

zero
Website

bici wrote #327064:

Subtlety Sublime!

Is the design/css hand crafted or based on some bootstrap theme?

Thanks, bici. That’s the first time subtlety has been used for one of my sites! It’s an original hand-crafted to match the basses. The request was for pictures not words. I thought of using the all-grid theme by giz but couldn’t get my head round it so I looked at some luxury web sites (because these are luxury basses) and noticed how simple and minimal they usually were, so was inspired to try and make this as simple as possible. I simplified and simplified and the content just seemed to keep leading me towards what the design is now.

At first the idea was to show basses for sale and keep adding them as new ones were made, but this quickly changed to being a showcase for previously made basses, so customers can get an idea of possibilities and then request their custom build. Hence, it won’t need much updating (and I’ll be doing the maintenace because the client is stubbornly anti-computer-if-he-can-help-it) and so I often didn’t use Textpattern as I would otherwise have done. For example, the images have names instead of numbers and I took my time sizing and optimising them to try and get the best image quality instead of using smd_thumbnail.

So no bootstrap theme, bici, and no plans to make a theme from it at the moment. Subtlety sublime: I’ll tell my client and perhaps he’ll give me a bonus ;-)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#10 2020-11-25 22:52:31

jakob
Admin
Website

Nice site, Pete! Like the graphic wave subtly (“ding” #2) echoing the cut-out of the basses. Can’t play them either.

Hadn’t heard of Slimjet or Slimbrowser either. Can’t imagine how robots.txt should affect IE, though. Perhaps it’s something to do with the browser itself.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#11 2020-11-26 10:07:21

zero
Website

jakob wrote #327070:

Nice site, Pete! Like the graphic wave subtly (“ding” #2) echoing the cut-out of the basses. Can’t play them either.

Hadn’t heard of Slimjet or Slimbrowser either. Can’t imagine how robots.txt should affect IE, though. Perhaps it’s something to do with the browser itself.

Thanks jakob. At first I tried to echo the shape more exactly but had to settle for subtlety ;-)

Yes, must be the browser itself. Some people get so used to their browser though, they resist any change. Flashpeak Slimjet works OK for me, but I rarely use Windows.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#12 2021-01-16 19:10:02

byewp

Looks good, nice products too.

Out of curiosity, I notice there’s an inquiry form on each product but the form seems generic. If someone fills out a form, do you know which product it’s coming from?

Board footer