Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-11-24 08:17:25

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Permanently removing a group of articles (status 410 gone)

Looking for the most TXP-ish way of accomplish it this. At an individual article level, setting the expire date to something in the (close) past on the Write panel is the most direct and easy way. But as far as I can tell, there is currently no direct way to bulk modify or add the “expire” date for a group of articles by using e.g. the multi-edit tool on the Articles list panel.

So option 1 is set an expire date for the relevant article(s) – slow and cumbersome if dealing with a (largish) number of articles.
Option 2, using the <txp:txp_die /> tag at the top of the relevant page template.

• to disappear a whole section: <txp:if_section name="section_name"><txp:txp_die status="410" /></txp:if_section> but in the case we are dealing with, not applicable.
  • to disappear a list of articles: <txp:if_article_id id="list,of,IDs"><txp:txp_die status="410" /></txp:if_article_id>

Are there any better (TXP-ish) ways of handling this? There are an estimated 150 articles to deal with, so there is anyway a bit of manual work in finding the ID and so forth.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2020-11-25 08:28:53

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Permanently removing a group of articles (status 410 gone)

Of course, using my option2 above (with <txp:if_article_id />, the article(s) still appear in article lists, unless an override is place there as well… <sigh />.

On the other hand, using the expire date (a date soonish in the future) allows for adding a note for search engines in the <robots /> meta tag, in case those happen to walk by.

#3 2020-11-25 08:57:08

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

It shouldn’t be too difficult to add an Expire option to the multi-edit widget, if it helps.

#4 2020-11-25 09:39:25

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

That would be useful I think. I can’t be the only one who want or need to remove articles from a site, for innocent (the case here, change of business direction) or more less innocent and more annoying (legal pressure) reasons. And at the same time be kind to the G-crawlers.

PS – don’t rush to implement it just now, first make sure 4.8.4 as-is is solid :-)
We’ll cope, the latest estimated count is a little lower (< 90).

#5 2020-12-01 06:10:56

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

After 4 evenings the lady manager of the site has cleaned up and removed the ‘offending’ articles from the face of the world web. All land on a nice minimal 410 page.

For your consideration, I filed this issue for a future TXP release.

Board footer