Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-11-13 02:52:40

mistersugar
Website

Can't create a new section, edit existing sections

I upgraded to Txp 4.8.3 this evening. Diagnostics tab says all checks passed.

I tried to create a new section, but got this error:

The section was not saved due to an error. Please try again.

I get the same error when trying to edit existing sections.

I can create new articles and pages.

Where would I start to troubleshoot this?

#2 2020-11-13 05:24:38

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Can't create a new section, edit existing sections

Maybe, try this: open the browser developer tools, and make sure the no caching option is selected. in Safari it is off by default in that case, for Firefox you have to turn it on, if memory serves (on the network panel is a ‘disable cache’ checkbox).

Also, after leaving the site, or the TXP back end, and coming back, it might be that your edits are actually recorded.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2020-11-13 08:01:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Are there any plugins that might be getting in the way?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2020-11-14 10:42:25

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I wonder if this might be our old friend mod_security (or similar web application firewall)…

#5 2020-11-14 16:14:16

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

x

gaekwad wrote #326739:

I wonder if this might be our old friend mod_security (or similar web application firewall)…

If this is the case, you can check by temporarily adding

<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule> 

to your htaccess file. Note that it is not recommended as a permanent directive it may leave your site vulnerable. If the error disappears, you should get in touch with your host.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2020-11-14 16:34:24

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

mistersugar wrote #326726:

I upgraded to Txp 4.8.3 this evening.

I just found this – have a skim read of that thread, there might be an upgrade script that hasn’t fired off correctly.

#7 2020-11-14 23:23:06

mistersugar
Website

gaekwad wrote #326753:

there might be an upgrade script that hasn’t fired off correctly.

I suspect this is the issue. For the first time ever, I don’t recall seeing a the update window with language selection. Unless the update process has changed in the last few releases and I’ve been asleep at the wheel, I think I need to backtrack and upload afresh.

Will report back tomorrow.

And thanks, as always!

#8 2020-11-15 08:44:42

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

mistersugar wrote #326764:

For the first time ever, I don’t recall seeing a the update window with language selection.

It’s not you: that no longer happens, since languages are all bundled locally with each release, so there’s no need to update the strings manually any more :)

When you log back in after replacing the files, what you should see is a flashing green notification message welcoming you to the new version. Depending on your browser settings, you may also get a JavaScript version warning asking you to refresh your cache. A force refresh usually does the trick.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#9 2020-11-17 17:59:37

mistersugar
Website

Bloke wrote #326769:

When you log back in after replacing the files, what you should see is a flashing green notification message welcoming you to the new version.

I uploaded all Txp files again, and once again I did not see the green notification. So the update script is not working? Still getting the red warning that new section can’t be saved. Diagnostics panel says all checks passed though. I’ll search the forum later today to troubleshoot this.

#10 2020-11-17 18:27:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

mistersugar wrote #326884:

I uploaded all Txp files again, and once again I did not see the green notification.

The notification is only triggered when the files are newer AND your version string in the txp_prefs table is different from (older than) the version in the new files. If you’ve already run through the upgrade but some of the files weren’t present then the version string might already have been modified.

That’s one way of ‘faking’ an upgrade if something has gone a bit sideways (although it can create a bunch of warnings for things that have already been applied, it’s usually safe to do). You can go into your database and set the version value back to an earlier version to re-run the script from that point when you next log in.

#11 2020-11-19 02:19:26

mistersugar
Website

Two more pieces of info:

1. I realize that I upgraded Txp from an earlier dev version of 4.8 (I’ll find the forum post about when you helped me get MarsEdit working with rpc/xml) straight to 4.8.3. Could that be part of the problem?

2. And now I see that my other Txp site, mistersugar.com, is on an older version of Txp and now throwing an error, so that suggests something changed at the server level, maybe with PHP?

Deprecated: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/azuiker/apps/mistersugar/textpattern/lib/constants.php on line 136

Last edited by mistersugar (2020-11-19 02:21:31)

#12 2020-11-19 05:13:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

mistersugar wrote #326933:

And now I see that my other Txp site, mistersugar.com, is on an older version of Txp and now throwing an error, so that suggests something changed at the server level, maybe with PHP?

Can you post your diagnostics?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer