Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-10-10 06:54:23

MattFrost

Upgraded 4.5.5 to 4.8.2

I flew too close to the sun: I tried to upgrade a long-inactive txp install from 4.5.5 to 4.8.2 and now it’s broken. The upgrade process does not report any problems, and the preflight diagnostics are clean, but every page displays “Unknown section.”

I can see the list view of my sections in the admin page, but I cannot see any forms or pages, just a title box and an editing window. Is it still possible to downgrade and migrate back up, or have I jacked up the database schema too badly?

Thanks to everyone still involved in this project. I was an early user and forum poster from the old days, so I’m pleased to see so many talented people still tending the garden.

A sheepish edit: I used MySQL to force the version value in txp_prefs to something other than what I was really updating from…

Last edited by MattFrost (2020-10-10 06:58:01)

#2 2020-10-10 08:59:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Upgraded 4.5.5 to 4.8.2

Hmmm, seems like the theme isn’t working. Did you make sure to establish a writeable /themes directory prior to upgrade? If not, that might scupper things. Although as it doesn’t do any writes on upgrade it probably isn’t the root cause.

It sounds that maybe the upgrade hasn’t completed properly. What version number is reported in the version pref now?

Can you log out, reset it to 4.5.5 and log in again to retrigger the upgrade? Try disabling all your plugins first, just in case one of those is interfering with the upgrade.

Failing that, do you have a database backup from prior to upgrade? That is a way to get back to basics and start again, maybe with incremental jumps.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-10-10 09:04:08)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2020-10-10 09:12:44

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

MattFrost wrote #326304:

I was an early user and forum poster from the old days, so I’m pleased to see so many talented people still tending the garden.

Welcome back.

A sheepish edit: I used MySQL to force the version value in txp_prefs to something other than what I was really updating from…

If you have forced it to 4.6+, all themes-related features must have been skipped, which could explain the result.

#4 2020-10-10 18:13:28

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

MattFrost wrote #326304:

Is it still possible to downgrade and migrate back up, or have I jacked up the database schema too badly?

4.5 to 4.8 shouldn’t cause any problems, but themes stuff is new-ish, so that might catch you out.

You should be able to restore the database and file backups over the top easily enough – I’d suggest zapping the broken files first, then zapping the broken database, restoring the database, then restoring the files, get your 4.5 site back up and running, then do some preflight checks:

• are you running a supported PHP?
  • are you file permissions OK?
  • does Diagnostics in the Admin-side report any snags with Textpattern 4.5?

Don’t forget to upload the scaffold fully, the themes stuff might not have made it up if muscle memory kicked in and you just replaced the textpattern directory, for example.

Board footer