Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Conditionally evaluate one of a number of same tags

I have a shortcode that outputs two possible dates:

1. A delivery date
  2. A countdown to that delivery date

So I can use it thus:

Order within <txp::delivery_date countdown /> to receive by <txp::delivery_date" />

All good. But when it gets close to the window – within a minute of it – I want to omit the above sentence entirely. Then, a minute later it’ll reset itself and show up again with the new delivery window. This is to avoid it saying silly things like “Order within 0 minutes to receive by Friday 25th”.

If I wrap it all in <txp:evaluate> then it always shows, because the second tag always outputs something. I want to conditionally output the entire thing only if both contain something. If the first is empty, skip. I thought about using the evaluate attribute around the first tag but that will only cover that one.

Doable?

Last edited by Bloke (2020-09-23 15:38:36)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2020-09-23 18:28:58

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Conditionally evaluate one of a number of same tags

You can try to pass a number to <txp:evaluate />:

<txp:evaluate test="1">
Order within <txp::delivery_date countdown /> to receive by <txp::delivery_date" />
</txp:evaluate>

This should test the first tag only. Not sure whether it will consider 0 as empty (to test), but it should be easily tweakable if needed.

#3 2020-09-23 18:41:15

jakob
Admin
Website

Long shot alternative: would storing the first part – the countdown – as a variable work? Then use txp:evaluate / txp:if_variable to test that for the second part, and insert the variable into the output string.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2020-09-23 20:03:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Both excellent suggestions. I expect the first one (test="1") will work but… the site’s currently running Txp 4.7.2 so it doesn’t do anything right now. Site needs an upgrade when I get a moment to test it out.

In the interim, I’ll go with the latter suggestion. Pre-compute the countdown and stash it in a variable and only display the whole string if it contains something.

Thank you both kindly. Just didn’t have my thinking head on.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer