Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-09-10 10:24:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Editor X in Wix

I notice that the go-to platform for the lazy web designer, Wix, has launched a major update in an attempt to do a Gutenberg-style editor they call Editor X. On the surface it looks impressive, and the features to anchor text to one edge or another and scale content in flex containers is sure to wow.

Whether it’s any good at flowing content from its database into placeholders, instead of essentially hard-coding stuff on every page like people tend to do with themes like Divi on WordPress, I’m not sure. But it certainly looks like an intriguing development that I expect might erode some WordPress dominance.

However, no surprises, the generated code is dog slow. Like, sub-50 PageSpeed scores. That’s where platforms like Textpattern really shine. Having complete control over your templates, CSS and layout, not to mention reusing layout elements and containers via Forms to ease long-term maintenance, might be hard work, but usability and visitor experience always remain top priority. Code-free and no-code platforms still really struggle to optimize.

So is this Dreamweaver all over again? Bloat, bloat and more bloat? Or is the drag/drop and make my site look exactly like this Photoshop image at this precise resolution approach going to evolve to enable visual/print designers (not necessarily web designers) to create sites that are halfway usable at some point in the future?

Interesting developments.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-09-10 10:26:00)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2020-09-10 11:45:10

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Editor X in Wix

Ahh Dreamweaver! *nostagia

Web design is such a fascinating career, there are definitely web designers and maybe even entire companies built around helping people with Wix/Shopify etc. I’m not adverse to Shopify because well, for secure e-commerce it’s just better. It’s more secure imo than any open source platform out there.

If it helps web designers to do more fancy Wix things for clients more power to ‘em. I’ve always moved people off Wix for exactly the reasons you mentioned above, they can’t beat Txp for a brochure style website. Just got to pick the right tool for the right job. :)

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#3 2020-09-10 11:57:07

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

What I did notice about WIX sites is that they are not really discovered by the search engines. Some time ago, I tried to persuade some friends who wanted a site to do it in txp. I even downloaded a theme from textgarden if I remember correctly, installed it in a personal subdomain, and spent some time trying to teach them how to update it using their own content. All for free.

As I was doing that, a young graphic designer, persuaded them that if they employed her, she would be able to do a better job. Long story short, they did employ her and she did everything in Wix. The site is quite a few years old now and no search engine can find it unless you type the exact name of their company.

I think that Wix is conning their customers. The web is not just about presentation, but about discoverability.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2020-09-10 14:03:26

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #325868:

What I did notice about WIX sites is that they are not really discovered by the search engines. Some time ago, I tried to persuade some friends who wanted a site to do it in txp. I even downloaded a theme from textgarden if I remember correctly, installed it in a personal subdomain, and spent some time trying to teach them how to update it using their own content. All for free.

As I was doing that, a young graphic designer, persuaded them that if they employed her, she would be able to do a better job. Long story short, they did employ her and she did everything in Wix. The site is quite a few years old now and no search engine can find it unless you type the exact name of their company.

I think that Wix is conning their customers. The web is not just about presentation, but about discoverability.

Agreed on SEO. And at the start they had awful security issues but I presume they are well resolved now. Whatever they resolved on the security side, for SEO a lot of the hosted style solutions fall down.

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#5 2020-09-10 16:21:04

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

Impresspages — an excellent open source drag&drop CMS was abandoned, unfortunately. I do not know why, despite of the developers are Lithuanians.

#6 2020-12-13 18:53:18

bici
Website Mastodon

hilaryaq wrote #325865:

Ahh Dreamweaver! *nostagia

… I’ve always moved people off Wix for exactly the reasons you mentioned above, they can’t beat Txp for a brochure style website. Just got to pick the right tool for the right job. :)

Yep. And i believe it is very difficult to export your site from Wix if you ever wish to try the competition. I was sad to just now discover that a former TxP site is now on Wix same content but different cms as far as i can tell

…. texted postive

Board footer