Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-08-31 19:27:47

gu

Re: Tag for static section on homepage only

> corrected a typo

I am sorry but I am back because the code solution has not only stopped the sticky page from displaying its text, but has also obstructed the search results from appearing.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you again.

Last edited by gu (2020-08-31 19:28:55)

<!— space for hope —>

#14 2020-08-31 19:32:36

gu

I just wanted to add that the same problem happens when I use the code from the tutorial on the Write Panel (I don’t know how I did not see that page last night):

<txp:article form="myshortform" status="sticky" />
</txp:if_article_list>

<txp:article limit="5" />

<!— space for hope —>

#15 2020-08-31 23:09:26

gu

> still needing to edit for clarity…

Sadly I have to come back to this later… But I wonder if I understand what the root of the problem is.
[I didn’t immediately see the problem because while I tested pages when I put in the suggested code, I did not test the sticky page or the search box – which is where the problem is.]

My hunch that I may be beginning to understand something about the problem came when I was reading about how the txp design largely follows visitor actions. So, if this ‘recipe’ for the homepage is to include
1. a static section
2. the txp article list
3. search functions
4. category functions
the problem is that there is no “else”. It is all ‘yes’.
May I thank everyone for their kind help thus far! (And patience! I think that coding is good practice for communication in how it calls for precision – and in the case of txp, also brevity. I hope to learn from this.)

Last edited by gu (2020-08-31 23:24:16)

<!— space for hope —>

#16 2020-08-31 23:51:05

gu

…I wonder if I can use that other txp for displaying an excerpt, put that in its own div section, and then keep the search and category txps in their own div like they were before when they worked. I am sure there is a more elegant way to solve the problem but I can’t wait to try that out…

Last edited by gu (2020-08-31 23:51:48)

<!— space for hope —>

#17 2020-09-01 09:19:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi, do you have a url we could check? It’ll be much easier to diagnose the issue:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#18 2020-09-01 09:34:01

gu

I might delete this address later.
>edit: I have now deleted it

I am embarrassed by my comments because every hour or so I figure something new out and realize how misled earlier thoughts were… But I heard advice about coding that made sense to me: better to keep trying to explain because eventually the explanation will match the commands.

Last edited by gu (2020-09-01 12:19:18)

<!— space for hope —>

#19 2020-09-01 10:50:08

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

gu wrote #325699:

I am embarrassed by my comments because every hour or so I figure something new out and realize how misled earlier thoughts were…

Yikes, this hit hard – are you me?

#20 2020-09-01 11:03:12

gu

Thanks for that encouragement gaekwad (one was feeling embarrassed because one’s learning style – not just lack of knowledge – is on view; what a relief that it is not unique).
As for making the website ‘public’ (I know it is available to crawlers, but I expect it to remain in a back corner of the web), I am definitely internet shy. I am also responsible for contributors so am reluctant about posting the site address as a general principle. But since in some ways the site is also the forum’s, because of your input, I thought I would share it, which I hope was the right decision!

<!— space for hope —>

#21 2020-09-01 11:05:10

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

gu wrote #325702:

As for making the website ‘public’ (I know it is available to crawlers, but I expect it to remain in a back corner of the web), I am definitely internet shy. I am also responsible for contributors so am reluctant about posting the site address as a general principle.

Totally understandable, and agreed – I edited your post rather than making a fresh reply so you can zap the link when you’re ready to. The TLS for your site wasn’t working when I checked, hence the http link.

#22 2020-09-01 11:13:43

gu

Thanks for that!

<!— space for hope —>

#23 2020-09-01 12:10:13

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

As the #4 article only appears as an excerpt in the front page, I do not think that it needs to be a sticky one unless you wish of course to exclude it from the list of articles, as etc suggested.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#24 2020-09-01 12:17:10

gu

Indeed, I did not want the sticky to appear twice on the homepage. I might make more stickies to appear in that fixed position in the future (which is such a neat feature of the id attribute) so really, that would not be good.
The problem of the sticky url not displaying page content applies to all stickies. Everything else works – the (multiple) id attribute of the custom article, the sticky status…
The missing body of the URL remains a mystery.
As for the search problem, I am now discovering that I possibly did not include the full range of txp code that is needed. TBC.
My site name on display is haunting me so I will take it down now but if there is an option to share privately and if any old hands want to help if this issue persists (one remains hopeful that it won’t) I will share it.
Thank you again to everyone!

Last edited by gu (2020-09-01 12:17:47)

<!— space for hope —>

Board footer