Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-08-14 17:14:13

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Convert to static site

I have a site I’ve not updated content on in years and I’d like to move to a cheaper hosting option such as a aws s3 bucket. Has anyone converted from a textpattern site to a static site successfully?

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#2 2020-08-14 17:23:21

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Convert to static site

MattD wrote #325346:

I have a site I’ve not updated content on in years and I’d like to move to a cheaper hosting option such as a aws s3 bucket. Has anyone converted from a textpattern site to a static site successfully?

Hi Matt
A couple of years ago, somebody scraped the whole of the NeMe site and posted it in their domain. I found out, as they were still linking to the js files from our server and appeared in the server logs. The site was converted to html and was working just fine so I would think that it is possible.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2020-08-14 19:13:20

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

So far the things I’ve tried failed on thumbnails that are linked to via thumb.php.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#4 2020-08-14 19:13:45

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I have used this a couple of times to grab an existing site as flat files:

Sitesucker

However, there are caveats that you’ll need to be aware of:

1. static sites are notoriously bad with any kind of dynamic search functionality. So if your site has this then be prepared to strip it out.
  2. same for any other sections that were previously created dynamically – such as category sections and suchlike. Be prepared to weed those out too.

To be honest, from past experience, it may be easier to just update the site to latest Textpattern release leave it at that. All you need is a AWS Docker container if that’s the platform route you want to go.

#5 2020-08-16 12:40:31

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

+1 for Sitesucker, if you like GUI stuff. You can also have curl or wget go on a download bombing run and siphon the site if you prefer your command line tools.

I’m curious about Textpattern -> static site solutions too, so I’ll follow this thread with interest.

#6 2020-08-18 03:42:09

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

I ended up using wget then just manually fixing the css.php and thumb.php links that were not working. Since my site only had 5 pages this was doable.

My Plugins

Board footer