Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-08-12 20:03:55

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

Goodbye Textpattern and thank you

Hi everyone, it’s been a while since I last posted on here.

I’ve been using Textpattern for a long long time. I can’t remember when I created my first site with the CMS, but I believe it was around about 2005. As some of you will be aware I have authored a number of plugins over the years with the prefix arc_ and created the Awesome Textpattern list on GitHub.

However, I switched off my last Textpattern website a few months ago. I didn’t want to disappear from the community without saying thank you to everyone who has helped me develop with the CMS or contributed to one of my plugins.

Many years ago, Textpattern and its community really helped me launch my career as a web developer, especially at a time when I was switching career paths. I am now a senior developer, working primarily with custom backend code, and speak on web topics at various meet-ups. My experiences with this community really helped me get to where I am now. You gave me the confidence to become a developer and break through imposter syndrome. So thank you.

I don’t know how many of my Textpattern plugins are still used, it has been a while since I last tended to them. If anyone wishes to take over development of any of them just give me a shout. Similarly, I am happy to continue accepting pull requests for Awesome Textpattern, but if someone here wants to take over this repository let me know.

I will continue to follow Textpattern and I hope that it continues to grow and develop. Who knows, one day I may have a project where Textpattern is a good fit and will return.

#2 2020-08-12 22:38:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Goodbye Textpattern and thank you

Hi Andy. Great to see you here again, even if it is to part ways. Thank you so much for all the fab support you’ve showed with your plugins over the years, and all the help you’ve given with stress testing the CMS as you developed them. We owe you a debt of gratitude for helping make Textpattern what it is today.

I almost popped along to see you when you spoke at the Umbraco meetup in Leeds last September but mitigating circumstances on the night meant I wasn’t able to, sadly.

Anyway, hopefully you’ll pass through here again in future, as you say. And while you’re touring and speaking, if you ever happen to have the opportunity to big-up the only(?) CMS that allows developers to safely make changes on a live site without the staging server hoopla then we’ll owe you even more :)

Take care and have fun with whatever you do.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2020-08-13 05:02:17

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

monkeyninja, thanks for the great plugin arc_redirect. I used it for many years on several sites. 😊

#4 2020-08-13 07:12:19

jakob
Admin
Website

Bloke wrote #325313:

Hi Andy. Great to see you here again, even if it is to part ways. Thank you so much for all the fab support you’ve showed with your plugins over the years, and all the help you’ve given with stress testing the CMS as you developed them. We owe you a debt of gratitude for helping make Textpattern what it is today.

kuopassa wrote #325318:

monkeyninja, thanks for the great plugin arc_redirect. I used it for many years on several sites. 😊

+1 and +1.

arc_redirect is still in use on a couple of sites and I made some minor updates over the years. Your various social media / embedding plugins have been useful to many people too. It’d be great if you could keep the plugins on GitHub even if you take them off your own site and even if archived.

All the best for your laravel work and greetings to you in the (former) “Steel City” where I went to university many years ago.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2020-08-13 07:28:02

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

+ 1 to all. Sorry to see you go Andy but hope that you will be making a comeback.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2020-09-10 11:55:08

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Sorry to see you go, but glad you got so much out of TXP and it helped you to move onto other pastures. Best of luck with your future projects! :)

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

Board footer