Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#71 2020-08-07 09:58:47

etc
Developer
Website

Re: adi_mobile - Mobile browser detection

gomedia wrote #325221:

And there was I thinking I only need to wade through all my admin plugins to bring them up to speed :-(

I’m the first annoyed, since many old plugins will break, unless we quickly release 4.8.3… sorry! :-(

#72 2020-08-07 10:14:42

colak
Admin
Website

etc wrote #325222:

I’m the first annoyed, since many old plugins will break, unless we quickly release 4.8.3… sorry! :-(

If EvalElse is deprecated, it makes more sense for plugins to be updated. This one was easy to do. I’m sure that the rest will not be that hard either.

Prolonging the life of deprecated functions will make txp harder to control. I can understand, supporting some functions for a few years but 4.6 was released 4 years ago!

It is strange that neither this, or act_if_mobile plugins returned no errors until this morning. I’ll investigate my server logs to check if I have missed anything.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | NeMe @ github | Covid-19; a resource
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#73 2020-08-07 10:27:37

etc
Developer
Website

colak wrote #325227:

If EvalElse is deprecated, it makes more sense for plugins to be updated.

Unfortunately, many of them are orphaned, and updating would bother site admins anyway.

It is strange that neither this, or act_if_mobile plugins returned no errors until this morning. I’ll investigate my server logs to check if I have missed anything.

Browsing your site on mobile shouldn’t throw errors, maybe this is the explanation?

#74 2020-08-07 13:38:34

colak
Admin
Website

etc wrote #325232:

Unfortunately, many of them are orphaned, and updating would bother site admins anyway.

Browsing your site on mobile shouldn’t throw errors, maybe this is the explanation?

I’m seldom online with my mobile and when that happens, it’s mostly to get directions. I do not find mobile screens comfortable. I do check my sites every major upgrade but I limit those visits to when I upgrade the css.

The issue might have been visible on the mobile (if I checked), as understand that it would not have loaded some mobile specific css rules.

It has however broken the front end of the site, and it stopped it from validating. I first noticed this in my dev environment where I was trying out some tags as I was trying to help and decided to validate the code. It took me about 10 minutes to narrow the problem to the act_if_moble plugin and I decided to replace it with with Adi’s. After the first refresh all worked ok and even eagerly posted about it in order to help others. Less than one hour later, I was faced with the same problem which is where you guys took the lead.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | NeMe @ github | Covid-19; a resource
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#75 2020-08-07 13:47:40

etc
Developer
Website

The issue is not easy to notice, since it consists in outputting just 1 when you normally would expect no output. You must have eagle eyes, unless this 1 breaks page validation.

It is not specific to adi_mobile, all ‘old-style’ plugins are concerned. We have fixed it in the upcoming 4.8.3, mea culpa for the hassle (as usual).

Board footer