Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-07-18 10:36:43

zero
Website

Empty config file

I’ve tried to install Textpattern on a new server without success (about 5 days ago so can’t remember full details, sorry). After creating the config.php file, returning to the browser and clicking “I did it” I got a very long list of errors I’ve never seen before, something about details did not match the ones requested, and at the end it says something along the lines of “Use these details in your config.php”. It’s the usual config.php but with empty details except for the path to the db which is correct. Of course, I haven’t tried using those empty details.

Anybody come across this before?

So I thought I’d try Softaculous install. This wouldn’t let me use the db I already have but created a new one and installed Textpattern, seemingly OK. I could write an article and save it. However, I am unable to save any changes to forms or pages, getting “Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.” I’ve looked at permissions but they seem OK.

I’m waiting patiently for their support to help, they’ve enabled allow_url_include and allow_url_fopen but that hasn’t helped. Any ideas?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2020-07-18 11:10:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Empty config file

I haven’t come across this but I’m going to stress test installs now. I’ll see if I can break things by intentionally mangling config.php from what is expected. I would hope that it just says “can’t connect” and “the files don’t match” and NOT throw errors, but if it’s throwing a bunch of errors out too, I’ll see if we can tidy that up.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2020-07-18 11:15:07

zero
Website

The way those errors were presented did not seem like txp errors — they were tiny text I haven’t seen before. I might just delete everything and reinstall so I can show you those.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#4 2020-07-18 11:17:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote #324677:

The way those errors were presented did not seem like txp errors — they were tiny text I haven’t seen before. I might just delete everything and reinstall so I can show you those.

That would be ace if you could repeat it, thank you. But I’ll see if I can break it anyway.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2020-07-18 11:18:33

zero
Website

I’ll do it a bit later

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#6 2020-07-18 11:54:49

zero
Website

Woh! This time, third or fourth time lucky, I’ve not had a problem. I guess support must have change something. Fingers crossed and I hope I haven’t spoke too soon!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#7 2020-07-18 12:01:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Okay, I can’t repeat this on a local MAMP, so maybe it is something host related. I’d like to find out what it is though, in case it’s some assumption we’ve made during setup, or something we can guard against.

If you happen to spot it again, please let us know. Thanks!

#8 2020-07-18 12:54:05

zero
Website

I spoke too soon. Although I can change an article and leave a comment, I am unable to change any article form or any page. Strangely, I am able to change non-article forms, stylesheet and sections. I haven’t tried themes yet, but was able to add a theme to my Softaculous install.

The error message I get with pages and article forms is “Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.”

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to show you the post-“I did it” error messages and now this seems to be a different problem.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#9 2020-07-18 13:01:14

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote #324683:

“Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.”

That’s strange. If you pop up the web Inspector’s Network panel (or Console) prior to trying to save a Form/Page, do you see any indication of error message or anything in red that might give us a clue when you click the Save button? Anything in the returned payload on the Network panel that has PHP errors in it or anything like that?

EDIT: Put your site in debug mode to get the maximum chance of seeing more detailed error messages.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-07-18 13:03:27)

#10 2020-07-18 13:14:12

zero
Website

I get:
status 403
method POST
Domain with a padlock
file index.php
initiator jquery.js:2 (xhr)
type html
transferred 1.11kb
size 698 B

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#11 2020-07-18 13:47:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Hmmm, is that from the Network panel if you click on the latest index.php row in the list? That should give you a new panel on the right with more detail in it such as tabs for Headers, Cookies, Request and – the important one – Response. That should give you at least one (maybe two) accordion rows of info that might bear fruit. Depends on the nature of the error: it might give us no new info, but it equally might be insightful.

#12 2020-07-18 13:56:46

zero
Website

Headers has 403 Forbidden
Response is the same
They are the only pink ones but..
under Security I have a lot of pink. I’ll check the certificate and report back.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer