Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2020-07-03 16:48:03

DragonBard

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.8.1 Released

I’m seeing some odd issues around front end Themes. I recently updated to 4.8.1, and sorry to say, I don’t remember which version I was on previously (definitely a 4.x release, as it was probably two years or so old).

I created a new, empty theme (named Empty), along with my previous theme (named Default). Often when attempting to switch between forms and pages with identical names in the two themes, I end up in the wrong Theme. When I switch back to the correct theme, I end up on a different form or page from the one I selected. This repeats quite often.

I did a quick look in the GitHub issues list, but didn’t see anything.

Thanks.

#22 2020-07-03 17:00:01

Bloke
Developer
Website

Sorry if you’re having trouble with it. A quick explanation:

When editing a Form/Page/Style, the selector above the list of assets indicates which Theme you’re using. Txp will try and remember the last Page/Form/Style that you saved. If you switch theme using the selector then it’ll ‘jump’ to the last saved asset of that type. (if it can and it has the same name as one you last saved).

If that’s the not behaviour you’re experiencing, there maybe some odd caching going on. If so, please would you let us have your Diagnostics info and we’ll look into it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#23 2020-07-03 17:07:07

DragonBard

Bloke wrote #324247:

Sorry if you’re having trouble with it. A quick explanation:

When editing a Form/Page/Style, the selector above the list of assets indicates which Theme you’re using. Txp will try and remember the last Page/Form/Style that you saved. If you switch theme using the selector then it’ll ‘jump’ to the last saved asset of that type. (if it can and it has the same name as one you last saved).

Okay, the above explains some of what is going on, but what I am seeing is not using the Theme selector, but simply switching between the forms within a theme, I will end up switching Themes, rather than the Form.

For example, I was on Empty theme, looking at the article default form. Then I clicked on the Comments comments form, and instead of seeing the Empty version, I now see the Default theme version.

#24 2020-07-03 17:46:46

DragonBard

Okay, this happens if I am trying to compare the content between two different versions of the same form. It flips back to the last form viewed in the other theme, then when I click on the form I wanted, it again flips back to the last version viewed in the other theme. I’d prefer for the view to stay locked to the selected theme in the Theme drop down. Right now it is near impossible for me to compare the contents of two forms between the themes.

Thanks.

#25 2020-07-03 18:49:26

Bloke
Developer
Website

DragonBard wrote #324250:

It flips back to the last form viewed in the other theme, then when I click on the form I wanted, it again flips back to the last version viewed in the other theme.

Yes, it goes back to the last saved form in any theme. Not the last viewed form. We don’t track views.

I’d prefer for the view to stay locked to the selected theme in the Theme drop down.

It will (should!) if you save a form first:

• Visit Theme A and look at the form you want to compare.
  • CTRL/CMD-S.
  • Flip theme. The form loaded will be the same one you just saved (assuming it exists in the target theme you just flipped to, otherwise it’ll show the first Form in the list and set that as your new base).

If it’s not doing that, then you may have some aggressive caching going on.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#26 2020-07-03 18:54:25

Bloke
Developer
Website

DragonBard wrote #324248:

For example, I was on Empty theme, looking at the article default form. Then I clicked on the Comments comments form, and instead of seeing the Empty version, I now see the Default theme version.

That’s definitely not right. The theme should stick.

Just try this to humour me please:

• Open your web browser’s Inspector.
  • Browse to its Network panel.
  • Check the ‘Disable Cache’ option.
  • Now navigate your Forms. Does it behave more logically, staying on the theme you were last using when clicking around the forms within it?
  • Enable the cache again, and close the inspector.
  • Navigate your forms this time. Does the behaviour change from when you had the cache disabled? If so, there’s something in your server setup that’s getting in the way of Txp’s normal operation and we need to figure out what.

#27 2020-07-03 21:01:44

DragonBard

Bloke wrote #324252:

Just try this to humour me please:

• Open your web browser’s Inspector.
  • Browse to its Network panel.
  • Check the ‘Disable Cache’ option.
  • Now navigate your Forms. Does it behave more logically, staying on the theme you were last using when clicking around the forms within it?
  • Enable the cache again, and close the inspector.
  • Navigate your forms this time. Does the behaviour change from when you had the cache disabled? If so, there’s something in your server setup that’s getting in the way of Txp’s normal operation and we need to figure out what.

Disabling the cache on the network panel behaves as I expect. Re-enabling it and I get the weird flipping behaviour again. I’m hosted on DreamHost. I take it I should post the diagnostics. Detail Low or High?

Last edited by DragonBard (2020-07-03 21:03:23)

#28 2020-07-03 21:30:11

DragonBard

Solved the mystery. I was running the site under PHP 7.3.12 w/Fast CGI. Switched to PHP 7.3.12 CGI and the weird flip flopping with editing Forms went away. Is Textpattern not Fast CGI compatible? It’s fine with me, just good to know that was what was causing the weirdness.

Thanks!

#29 2020-07-03 21:51:25

Bloke
Developer
Website

Glad you got it sorted.

Weird about FastCGI, though. I’ve not heard of anyone specifically complaining about Txp not running under it, and I’m pretty sure our demo servers run PHP-FPM.

You are, however, the second person in as many weeks mentioning weird cache issues on Dreamhost. I wonder if they have some particular settings in their FastCGI implementation that aggressively caches things and causes odd behaviour in Textpattern.

I’d love to find out what’s going on under the hood in such situations so we could see if there was anything we can do to stop it.

#30 2020-07-03 22:28:01

DragonBard

Bloke wrote #324257:

Glad you got it sorted.

Weird about FastCGI, though. I’ve not heard of anyone specifically complaining about Txp not running under it, and I’m pretty sure our demo servers run PHP-FPM.

You are, however, the second person in as many weeks mentioning weird cache issues on Dreamhost. I wonder if they have some particular settings in their FastCGI implementation that aggressively caches things and causes odd behaviour in Textpattern.

I’d love to find out what’s going on under the hood in such situations so we could see if there was anything we can do to stop it.

If there is any diagnostic data you want me to collect, let me know and I am happy to provide it.

Board footer