Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-07-01 09:27:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Mac app Sequel Pro is now Sequel Ace

I know some of you also use the Mac app Sequel Pro for managing MySQL and MariaDB databases, and are probably aware that is hadn’t received an update or bug fixes in years.

Well, some good news, I just discovered the app has been handed over to the open source community to continue development, and it’s already got a few releases out under the new moniker ‘Sequel Ace’:

github.com/Sequel-Ace/Sequel-Ace/

It’s also available directly in the Mac App Store. The current app icon is hideous but they are working on a new icon for it!

#2 2020-07-01 09:40:37

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Mac app Sequel Pro is now Sequel Ace

Thanks for the tip! finally :-)

but dilemma and doubts – should I continue with the Sequel Pro developper build I have, or switch ? that icon is sooo painful to look at. hmm, possible solution, in with the new and renew my friendship with Cmd-opt D.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2020-07-01 10:41:11

Algaris

Thanks Phil.

Sequel Pro is my go to database management app. I’ll download the new version and take a look. One of the first things I’ll be doing is replacing the icon with the old Sequel Pro one.

#4 2020-07-01 14:59:18

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #324139:

should I continue with the Sequel Pro developper build I have, or switch ?

+1. Watching this thread for feedback.

#5 2020-07-01 19:32:13

jakob
Admin
Website

It’s been remarkably stable despite not being updated. I hope the other improvements are better than the verschlimmbessern* of the icon?

*= making worse while in the process of improving: disimproving, maybe?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2020-07-01 21:16:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Good news. Though Sequel Pro does work pretty seamlessly, as others have said, and continues to do so for me, despite not being updated in forever.

But yeah, jeez, that icon… *takes eyes out and dips them in bleach*. We have a bunch of talented designers here, can’t we offer them something better?!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2020-07-01 21:49:21

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The icon was a stopgap by one of the devs just so they could launch without any copyright issues. It’s terrible by his own admission and they already have some pretty nice submissions for a proper logo. Expect it to be updated soon.

#8 2020-07-01 21:51:49

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Woot!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2020-07-01 22:36:52

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #324151:

+1. Watching this thread for feedback.

my remark was more tongue-in-cheek related to the icon.

That said, while SequelPro has had a very good run despite not being looked after for all those years, it did start to have multiple issues, some OS-version related (the official release version would crash about every time I closed a tab on 10.15), some related to MySQL (unable to work with v8.x.x).

Many issues where (partly) solved in the “stable” developper build I had, it was/is far from perfect. Moving it app (core code) out of the SequelPro brand into its own gives the contributors probably more freedom to work and release updates.

( I tried it briefly yesterday evening and it feels good, even faster than the SequelPro developper build. Some of the small UI issues on 10.15 are also resolved. but I keep the SequelPro build at hand right now)

@ Algaris

take care with swapping the icon. If you use the App store version, that is a big nono no-cannot-do, the HomeBrew version I don’t know, I imagine code-signing and Gatekeeper might complain a wee bit as well, depending on the macOS version.

Last edited by phiw13 (2020-07-01 22:37:37)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#10 2020-07-02 12:56:07

Algaris

phiw13 wrote:

@ Algaris

take care with swapping the icon. If you use the App store version, that is a big nono no-cannot-do, the HomeBrew version I don’t know, I imagine code-signing and Gatekeeper might complain a wee bit as well, depending on the macOS version.

I change all my icons using LiteIcon. I hate the new flat look with a passion and change any flat icon I come across to a 3D photorealistic or skeuomorphic version (I love Pages old inkwell icon). Sometimes I use the apps old 3D icon otherwise I’ll go on an icon image hunt. So far I haven’t had any problems, I just have to update the icon when a new version of the app is released, maybe I’ve just been lucky?

#11 2020-07-02 16:10:07

bici
Website Mastodon

Algaris wrote #324142:

Thanks Phil.

Sequel Pro is my go to database management app. I’ll download the new version and take a look. One of the first things I’ll be doing is replacing the icon with the old Sequel Pro one.

Ace Records

…. texted postive

#12 2020-07-02 16:28:16

bici
Website Mastodon

PS Best not to use the Old Sequel Pro Icon:

…. texted postive

Board footer