Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-06-21 16:15:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Logging form after upgrade

Yeah, that one needs moving (maybe to common in case we need it admin side too?) but it needs to be done on Crowdin and pulled into our repo, so let’s wait a wee bit in case Phil or someone suggests better UX.

We also need to move active_language_ui to [admin-side] so the selector on the Users Edit panel renders properly.

Should probably add an issue for those on the translation repo but I’m not fighting GitHub on my phone. Feel free if anyone fancies it, just so we don’t forget to track this.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2020-06-21 16:36:27

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #323879:

Should probably add an issue for those on the translation repo but I’m not fighting GitHub on my phone. Feel free if anyone fancies it, just so we don’t forget to track this.

I’ll take it if nobody else has.

Edit: 288

Last edited by gaekwad (2020-06-21 16:45:52)

#15 2020-06-22 03:11:34

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #323874:

The 4.8.2 branch now has a new language selector on the login panel.[…]

Seems to work in double-quick test on the demo site

Would that widget benefit of loosing the select-widget UI and displaying everything on one line ? The latter would eventually save some vertical space on small screens. Removing the UI would make it less heavy and less distracting, in order to keep the focus on the primary focus of the panel. See a quickly made example.

I couldn’t test the other change(s) you mention as user management/creation is mostly disabled on the demo site (for good reasons!)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#16 2020-06-22 06:22:53

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Sorry to be the devil’s advocate here but I seem to remember some posts in this forum about the security of front end cookies. Isn’t this effectively the same thing as the language preference will be there even after logout?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#17 2020-06-22 07:17:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #323881:

Would that widget benefit of loosing the select-widget UI and displaying everything on one line ?

Yes! That’s brilliant. Phil, do we have a design pattern for that? I can’t check right now. But I’ll look later if you don’t have time right now.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#18 2020-06-22 07:26:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #323882:

the security of front end cookies. Isn’t this effectively the same thing as the language preference will be there even after logout?

For clarity, there’s no cookie stored. No localStorage either. If everyone feels that having the last used language in the URL is a privacy risk (let’s face it, the username is still available too in the login box) then we can easily lose the lang=. The only loss of functionality would be that the language selector returns to the first one in the list.

#19 2020-06-22 08:05:20

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #323883:

Yes! That’s brilliant. Phil, do we have a design pattern for that? I can’t check right now. But I’ll look later if you don’t have time right now.

(not Phil…) Not directly I think; the closest thing is the select widget just above the textarea on the Write panel. But that uses JQUI stuff. Could reuse the code though, me thinks. The below is enough, IE 11 has some light quirk, maybe.

select { border: none; background-color: transparent; padding: 0; padding-inline-end: 2em; }

#20 2020-06-22 08:56:15

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #323881:

I couldn’t test the other change(s) you mention as user management/creation is mostly disabled on the demo site (for good reasons!)

It’s funny you mention that, I was looking at the logs the other day, there are all kinds of things happening on those demo sites: evidence of fuzzers, XSS attempts, they’re a great source of interest to people who want to break stuff!

#21 2020-06-22 08:58:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #323886:

the closest thing is the select widget just above the textarea on the Write panel. But that uses JQUI stuff.

Thank you for the code. Yeah, that’s a bit more involved to set up than a simple select, but I’m willing to do it that way if necessary because your proposed layout is miles better than the clunky ‘orrible select box.

If Mr Wareham could kindly advise on suitable markup for the side-by-side layout then we can go from there. And if there’s a nifty class available for styling it too, that’d be even better!

#22 2020-06-22 09:08:44

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #323888:

Thank you for the code. Yeah, that’s a bit more involved to set up than a simple select, but I’m willing to do it that way if necessary because your proposed layout is miles better than the clunky ‘orrible select box.

I don’t think you need all that JQUI machinery just to style that widget a little. The less JQUI, the better imho.

#23 2020-06-22 09:08:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #323881:

I couldn’t test the other change(s) you mention as user management/creation is mostly disabled on the demo site

Yeah, the only thing you can do is search for the user name you were assigned as a login and change your own language from the Users panel.

gaekwad wrote #323887:

there are all kinds of things happening on those demo sites: evidence of fuzzers, XSS attempts, they’re a great source of interest to people who want to break stuff!

I bet! In my daily logwatch report, I had one last week where I could barely even see the scrollbar height. It just went on and on as someone had tried every SIP port for every major protocol to try and exploit VOIP loopholes or use my server as a free call relay. Yealink, Well, autoprovisioning, bootstrap, cfg, defy, phone, …

#24 2020-06-22 09:09:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #323889:

I don’t think you need all that JQUI machinery just to style that widget a little. The less JQUI, the better imho.

Absolutely! If we can get away with a simple CSS class/container for it, that suits me perfectly.

Board footer