Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-06-20 13:57:53

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Some article_custom kung fu - articles with both of 2 categories

Here’s what I’m trying to do:

• Select articles where the categories are both set, one is foo, the other is bar.
  • foo might be category1, it might be category2, and the same goes for bar.
  • Only articles with both categories set (i.e. foo AND bar, not foo OR bar) should be selected.

I’m building out a whacky tag scaffold that checks for the existence of both categories being set first, then does the conditional checks…and it’s a mess. It works, but yuck.

Is there a fancy way with modern Textpattern tooling that I can grok and use? Assume I’ve spent a lot of time fixing Textpatterns recently, and not building them, and you’ll understand my headspace.

Thanking you, and happy weekend.

#2 2020-06-20 15:15:26

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Some article_custom kung fu - articles with both of 2 categories

isnt

gaekwad wrote #323858:

Here’s what I’m trying to do:

• Select articles where the categories are both set, one is foo, the other is bar.
  • foo might be category1, it might be category2, and the same goes for bar.
  • Only articles with both categories set (i.e. foo AND bar, not foo OR bar) should be selected.

I’m building out a whacky tag scaffold that checks for the existence of both categories being set first, then does the conditional checks…and it’s a mess. It works, but yuck.

Is there a fancy way with modern Textpattern tooling that I can grok and use? Assume I’ve spent a lot of time fixing Textpatterns recently, and not building them, and you’ll understand my headspace.

Thanking you, and happy weekend.

Hi Pete,
Isn’t that how the related_articles tag works? By default it matches category1,category2.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2020-06-20 15:22:53

colak
Admin

Also… I just tried to test my hypothesis above in the demo site, but I cannot login using the credentials offered, and more strangely, the remember tick-box does not tick. It just gets dark for a second and then returns to white.

Yiannis
——————————

#4 2020-06-20 15:24:14

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #323859:

Isn’t that how the related_articles tag works? By default it matches category1,category2.

Thanks, Yiannis – I didn’t explain myself very well. I’m looking for advice on how to select the initial articles, not the subsequent related articles from a single article. As I understand it, related_articles is what’s used to generate similar articles based on a single article – as you say, based on its categories.

#5 2020-06-20 15:24:50

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #323860:

Also… I just tried to test my hypothesis above in the demo site, but I cannot login using the credentials offered, and more strangely, the tick-box does not tick. It just gets dark for a second and then returns to white.

Rats. I must’ve broken it. I’ll investigate – thanks for the heads up.

Edit: yeah, I broke it. Give me ten mins and I’ll fix it. Sorry.

Edit: fixed. Mea culpa.

Last edited by gaekwad (2020-06-20 15:32:10)

#6 2020-06-20 15:28:37

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi Pete

You could use smd_query

I dont know if it s possible with native txp tag

Cheers.

#7 2020-06-20 15:33:09

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Dragondz wrote #323863:

You could use smd_query

Thanks, Rabah – I will investigate!

#8 2020-06-20 16:00:37

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #323861:

Thanks, Yiannis – I didn’t explain myself very well. I’m looking for advice on how to select the initial articles, not the subsequent related articles from a single article. As I understand it, related_articles is what’s used to generate similar articles based on a single article – as you say, based on its categories.

I’m trying to understand. You are looking to generate an article_custom page where the article list shown have the same categories and do not take into consideration the order that those categories were selected. If so, here’s something to get you started:

<txp:variable name="cat1articles"><txp:article_custom section="your_section" break=";" wraptag="" category="cat1" limit="999"><txp:article_id /></txp:article_custom></txp:variable>
<txp:variable name="cat2articles"><txp:article_custom section="your_section" break=";" wraptag="" category="cat2" limit="999"><txp:article_id /></txp:article_custom></txp:variable>

Then it is the part that I’m yet to solve but the idea is that you only include the ids present in both variables, possibly using the evaluate tag(?) and return them with <txp:article_custom id="whatever here" limit="999" />.

Yiannis
——————————

#9 2020-06-20 16:42:46

colak
Admin

Alternatively there maybe another simpler way:)

<txp:article_custom id="##"><txp:related_articles /></txp:article_custom>

> Edited to say that I tested the above and the default value of the match attribute in the related_articles tag is OR. I’m not sure if there is a way to have

<txp:article_custom id="##"><txp:related_articles match="category1 AND category2" /></txp:article_custom>

Last edited by colak (2020-06-20 16:51:28)

Yiannis
——————————

#10 2020-06-20 16:51:19

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Short of using exclude or evaluate in clever ways that only Oleg can usually fathom, the best I can do is this:

<txp:variable name="with-foo" escape="trim">
    <txp:article_custom category="foo" break=","><txp:article_id /></txp:article_custom>
</txp:variable>

<txp:article_custom id='<txp:variable name="with-foo" />' category="bar" break="li" wraptag="ul">
<txp:title />
</txp:article_custom>

Cheating, really: make a comma-separated list of ID values in a variable that match the first category, then use that list in a second <txp:article_custom> that’s told to match the second category.

Not very efficient, and you’ll need some limit="999" hackery attributes in there to get everything.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-06-20 16:52:33)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#11 2020-06-20 16:59:41

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Much obliged, sirs – thank you very much. I will report back!

#12 2020-06-21 13:32:46

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I’ve made

<txp:article_custom match="Category1, Category2" category="foo, bar" />

in dev act as Pete asks, i.e. yield both Category1, Category2 be in foo, bar. This is more consistent with general AND logic of match, where categories were an exception. The previous OR behaviour is obtained with

<txp:article_custom match="Category" category="foo, bar" />

or simply by omitting match attribute. Dunno whether to merge it into 4.8.2, it’s potentially not bw-compatible, though the risk is tiny.

Board footer