Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-06-17 00:57:05

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Google search console questions

1. google search console is frequently1 complaining about landings pages (sections or category pages) set to noindex – they are indeed and I don’t see any reason for google to include these in search listings as they are just a collection of links to individual article/topic pages. The listing pages are correctly marked as <meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">.
  2. does one need to add as a separate property the https:// URL for domain that is listed and indexed under its http:// URL? (all http:// URL’s are correctly redirected anyway, and a cannonical URL is given)

Forgive if those are stupid questions, a brief search did not return anything understandable. Thanks in advance.

On a positive note, I discovered that it is now much easier to remove a domain/property from the search console – just a click of the button…. Last I tried that, it took a whole lot of clicking and doing, if you found the way to reach the correct pane.

–^–^–

1 apparently on a nearly weekly basis, i look at my Gmail account every once in very long while

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2020-06-17 10:03:35

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Google search console questions

1. Maybe your sitemap.xml is listing the section landing pages? if so, and you have those landings set as noindex then the console will show a warning. Personally, for a blog or article list landing, I index the first page of results only with index, follow – all subsequent list page results from page 2 onwards are set to noindex, follow. For SEO it shows that your sections have fresh content regularly (well, as regularly as you post) and can be directly accessed from a search result too.
  2. When I moved some sites to HTTPS from HTTP, I just set up new instances for those in Google Search Console. Indeed, that seems to be what Google recommends too. The report takes a few days to settle in but that is fine.

#3 2020-06-17 11:34:12

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@philwareham

thanks. I’ll investigate both. The noindex issue, yeah I do have those listed in the sitemap, so that explains it. I think I should be able to use <txp:page_url type="pg" /> or something in a variable and call that when appropriate.

#4 2020-06-17 13:55:26

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

For an example of the indexing of first landing page only, see here.

#5 2020-06-18 06:09:01

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #323812:

For an example of the indexing of first landing page only, see here.

Yes, that is the way I was thinking to go. I had a snippet in my playground & testing install that was mostly the same. I have deployed it in the relevant templates, so that is now fixed on my side. We will have to see if the Google search gods are appeased.

That search console site is absolutely horrible to use. I had to stop attempting to do something, anything after less than 20 minutes, all their animations slide-ins and other horror made me completely sea-sick.

Have you ever heard of this media query: (prefers-reduced-motion:reduce) ?

Board footer