Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-06-12 21:21:16

hairydog

Re: Help needed - hopefully paid help

I suspect that most of the extras like newsletter have never been used and never will be.

The users are not all that computer-literate and I think they’re baffled by the complexity of it all. They know how to add articles and that’s about it.

There was also an installation of Slimstats with an enormous database as well as some sort of discussion forum that had never really been used. Those definitely won’t be needed any more.

#14 2020-06-12 21:25:49

jakob
Admin
Website

hairydog wrote #323757:

I suspect that most of the extras like newsletter have never been used and never will be.

Yes, that is sometimes the case – people often have larger goals than they end up using. That makes life easier for you now.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2020-06-13 14:46:49

hairydog

A huge “thank you” to Bloke, who very efficiently sorted the broken tangled mess out into at least a working tangled mess.

#16 2020-06-13 15:46:26

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

hairydog wrote #323770:

A huge “thank you” to Bloke, who very efficiently sorted the broken tangled mess out into at least a working tangled mess.

Honestly, that’s miles better than any LinkedIn testimonial.

#17 2020-06-13 16:17:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thanks for the thanks :)

I’ve not seen a site arranged like this before. 27 sections, 1 page template with 12 nested if_section conditionals… and 100 forms, with lots of copy n’ paste going on! Refactoring it to make it more maintainable is going to be fun. But even with all those forms, the site was still fast. There’s been a noticable speed kick moving to PHP 7, though.

So far I’ve designed out chh_if_data, removed zem_prblock, tidied up all tags I could find that were unquoted in articles/forms, and switched the entire site over to com_connect, removing ZCR from all thirty-odd articles in which it was manually used.

Also patched all public plugins that were throwing errors due to unregistered tags or outdated PHP code. Might switch out ob1_pagination for txp:pages yet. Admin plugins… maybe another day.

Sometimes smd_where_used is simply beyond useful, even if I do say so myself ;)

There’s definitely scope for some shortcodes in the site for rendering contact forms and repetitive stuff in articles.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#18 2020-06-13 16:41:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Sometimes smd_where_used is simply beyond useful…

That is the txp understatement of the year!!! :)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#19 2020-06-13 19:34:15

hairydog

When I looked at the way it was set up, I was amazed that it worked at all: way too complicated for me! I’m relieved that Textpattern isn’t meant to be that complex.

It’s working fairly well now, even though it’s on a low-powered server for a few days whilst I rebuild the good one.

It’ll be interesting to see how quick it is when untangled

#20 2020-06-13 19:39:16

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

hairydog wrote #323774:

It’ll be interesting to see how quick it is when untangled

Man, I think that about myself most weeks.

Board footer