Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2020-06-06 20:02:21

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Time for another YouTube live meet up/Txp chat?

It was a pleasure to chat to ye!! And we had a tasty burger after and all so a lovely day 🙂

The app worked well pity it had the bandwidth thing for some people!

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#62 2020-06-07 05:24:23

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Pete, I like the idea of a txp jitsi server but it depends of the resources that it will consume from your end. ie bandwidth might be an issue. I’m not sure how jitsi works. ie, does it share its resources like skype?

Also, what safeguards will you put in place in order for the setup to be only used by the community in order to protect that bandwidth?

From my end, jitsy on chrome works as well as any other app. In the past few years I’m sure that we all used a number of video conferencing platforms and they all largely depend on the local speeds too. So, yesterday for me, was no different regarding the performance.

@bici

I’m sorry you could not fully join. We had a discussion at the end about your connection, and none of us kicked anyone out, so it may have been just a glitch.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#63 2020-06-07 09:00:15

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

@bici

Sorry it was me, we saw some strange screen and beep sound that not seems normal, i thinked it s a bot or something similar, then i asked if we kicket it out and i did it.

I am really sorry for that.

#64 2020-06-07 10:09:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #323590:

I like the idea of a txp jitsi server but it depends of the resources that it will consume from your end. ie bandwidth might be an issue. I’m not sure how jitsi works. ie, does it share its resources like skype?

The Jitsi server components are installed to a web server, and my understanding is that participants share some of the video bandwidth between themselves depending on their connection speeds.

Also, what safeguards will you put in place in order for the setup to be only used by the community in order to protect that bandwidth?

I will look into this further, but at the simplest level I will make sure from the start that time windows are agree for participants and the Jitsi server is only ‘on’ before and after that time. If there is some form of authentication, we can look into that, too. The server bandwidth starts at 1TB per month for a $5 server, and the more $ you pay, the more bytes you can have.

#65 2020-06-07 21:16:25

bici
Website Mastodon

Dragondz wrote #323591:

@bici

Sorry it was me, we saw some strange screen and beep sound that not seems normal, i thinked it s a bot or something similar, then i asked if we kicket it out and i did it.

I am really sorry for that.

don’t worry!! i was only going to participate as an observer… I should have registered with you. So it’s all good! And thanks to all those doing the heavy lifting!

…. texted postive

#66 2020-06-08 11:27:55

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

This weekend I looked into the technicals of Jitsi. It looks doable, though I suspect we will have to use a powerful server when we use it – I have read reports of dedicated servers being more appropriate, rather the Linux VPSes we use, so the high level plan is:

• I will finalise the technicals for server installation and secure it
  • test run for 3, 5, 7, and 10 users, pay close attention to server load
  • (if server does not explode with 10 participants, additional test run with 15 users…if we can find that many)

High level: for a two-person conference, the server is largely idle as participants do most of the work, but when 3 or more people are involved the server starts working much harder as it handles the majority of the traffic. Add more people, and you create a lot more traffic to handle.

Textpattern sites are optimised by people who like optimising. This is all-new territory with the volume of data going through a server, so bear with me as I figure out who we might get a few hundred mbps going in and out of a DigitalOcean server without bankrupting anyone! Thanks for your patience.

#67 2020-06-08 13:32:56

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #323620:

This weekend I looked into the technicals of Jitsi. It looks doable, though I suspect we will have to use a powerful server when we use it – I have read reports of dedicated servers being more appropriate, rather the Linux VPSes we use, so the high level plan is:

• I will finalise the technicals for server installation and secure it
  • test run for 3, 5, 7, and 10 users, pay close attention to server load
  • (if server does not explode with 10 participants, additional test run with 15 users…if we can find that many)

Hi Pete, If you need a testing participant, whistle this way:)

Yiannis
——————————

#68 2020-06-10 04:54:57

bici
Website Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #323620:

This weekend I looked into the technicals of Jitsi. It looks doable, though I suspect we will have to use a powerful server when we use it –

may be of interest: “I used a Jitsi Meet server that I installed on an obsolete and otherwise useless computer that was sitting idle in my laboratory, on its way to the electronics junk heap”.

…. texted postive

#69 2020-06-10 16:55:00

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

bici wrote #323675:

may be of interest: “I used a Jitsi Meet server that I installed on an obsolete and otherwise useless computer that was sitting idle in my laboratory, on its way to the electronics junk heap”.

I read that yesterday, I was curious about this and then remembered the obscene amounts of internet connectivity that universities in the west have. The hardware spec is less important, as I understand it – it’s the pipe that connects it that’s the crucial part. My gut feeling on how to approach this is:

• get a live chat feature on our existing server (Mattermost or similar)
  • get a disposable/test server up and running with Jitsi on it
  • get a few people onto the test Jitsi with the chat server as a holding area & comms channel
  • see when the test server goes bang

I can see live stats for incoming and outgoing bandwidth, processor use, drive space used etc so we can avoid clattering halts to an extent, but we’ll see how it goes. I know this isn’t a quick process, but I’ll get it sorted when I understand more about it.

Edit: MIT 2020 internet connectivity info

Last edited by gaekwad (2020-06-10 16:58:38)

#70 2020-06-17 05:29:37

colak
Admin

Hi Pete,

Just in case you are still doing a research for a video conferencing platform, here’s a twitter thread from the guy who did Extinction rebellion’s global secure networking infrastructure (youtube). He recommends BBB, the min requirements of which might admittedly be beyond our capabilities.

Yiannis
——————————

#71 2020-06-17 08:51:05

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #323798:

He recommends BBB, the min requirements of which might admittedly be beyond our capabilities.

Yikes, those sys reqs are chunky!:

UDP ports 16384 – 32768 are accessible

As someone who firewalls all ports apart from the absolute bare minimum, this is…yikes.

#72 2020-06-17 14:32:03

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #323802:

…yikes.

Thought as much:)

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer