Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-05-27 10:03:35

Destry
Website

Textile + Markdown in same article with shortcodes?

Probably an impossibility and a waste of time to test, but maybe someone can quickly confirm…

Is it possible to use Markdown via wet’s filter in the regular article body but also use Textile in a Txp shortcode form?

I rarely use Txp’s editor anymore to draft articles, especially detailed long ones. For me Textile, which I love, is really becoming irrelevant by lack of decent Textile editors on the market. That’s sad.

Normally I start out with Scrivner, and there’s a number of conversion/editing steps to a Txp pub, PDF, ePub, or whatever from there. But in this case I’m working on a glossary project and drafting all the articles in iA Writer (a nearly perfect writing app), which only uses Markdown (the one downside). I could still write the Textile syntax, but you lose the editing benefit in Writer by doing that. So it’s Markdown for development in this case. And I loath the idea of having to convert with pandoc or whatever and double-check dozens of pages later just to have Textile.

I would not need Textile for this project except I make use of Textile’s superior endnotes functionality. Which makes me think of another question, Textile aside…

Can you use shortcodes with Markdown in combination with wet’s Markdown filter?

That could be an unlikely plan B, though I hate the fact Markdown’s style of notes leaves the notes text in the body. Dumb.

#2 2020-05-27 10:15:39

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Textile + Markdown in same article with shortcodes?

Hi Destry,

you can try escaping your shortcode: <txp::shortcode escape="textile" ... />. No warranty applies.

#3 2020-05-27 11:30:37

Destry
Website

Re: Textile + Markdown in same article with shortcodes?

Thank you. Will try when I get around to setting up the dev site. Still in research/writing/editing mode for a while, but looking ahead.

Board footer