Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-04-19 11:35:44

zero
Website

Recommended feeds, newsletters etc

Some of us don’t have TV, use YT, F, Titter or other social media. Some perhaps have slow internet. Censorship and exclusion is increasing too. Contributors to the forum have posted many wonderful links so I thought it might be a good idea to gather the best into one place. I am talking about definite recommendations that give an alternative to the mainstream, so we all get a more balanced, better informed view of things. As Dr Shiva and Dr Zuboff say, we the people have to do something and pressure politicians and get our voices heard. Perhaps this will help a little bit.

I recommend

Health

Dr Mercola newsletter. Near the bottom of every page, below some ads, is a Subscribe to the newsletter field which just asks for an email address.

Well-being

Prem Rawat (Unfortunately the newsletter no longer seems to be working on this site)

Last edited by zero (2020-04-19 15:37:49)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2020-04-19 15:35:28

zero
Website

Re: Recommended feeds, newsletters etc

Having posted the above, I lay down outside for a good dose of vitamin D and it dawned on me that a website would be better than a thread on this forum, so that anyone could easily link or point their friends to it, who could then easily bookmark it for future use. It could also be SEOd so other people could eventually find it without us pointing to it. And if all you well-informed people would link to it from your websites, it could rise rapidly up the rankings.

I then thought about names. Balanced View and Human Wellbeing came to mind, but they’re gone. Deeperview.info and wellsussed.com are available but then I found shrewd.info so I bought it. Quite a surprise to find a one-word domain for sale at £2.99 :-) I was going to discuss it here, but I’ll be surprised if there’s a better name available. But grab it if there is one!

So will you please help me with shrewd.info by posting your best recommendations in this thread? Too many links would be counter-productive and a waste of time, so I hope to just post the best one under each topic on the website. I want shrewd.info to be a truly useful site with the aim of turning people on to balanced, well-informed, well-considered, sensible shrewd information they would probably never come across with mainstream browsing.

Any help of any kind would, of course, be most welcome, but I’m quite happy to do it all myself. Thank you all for having inspired this and for all those great links you’ve already posted.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#3 2020-04-19 16:14:24

jakob
Admin
Website

You could, of course, install Textpattern there and make a link collection using Textpattern. With com_connect you could invite link submissions. Perhaps one could even try and resurrect mem_moderation_link so that submitted links would only need okaying to be fed into the linklist…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2020-04-21 06:31:49

zero
Website

jakob wrote #322640:

You could, of course, install Textpattern there and make a link collection using Textpattern. With com_connect you could invite link submissions. Perhaps one could even try and resurrect mem_moderation_link so that submitted links would only need okaying to be fed into the linklist…

I could do that but for SEO I was thinking of carefully worded headings, titles and extracts on the front page, perhaps leading to individual articles, perhaps not. I got a little carried away by my own enthusiasm with the idea and perhaps it’s not such a good idea after all? It will only work if it’s a community effort where we provide great links and we all link to the site. We all have different topics, hobbies or things we love, that are very meaningful for us, and it’s those kind of sites or feeds I had in mind. Of course, under the CMS heading, there’ll be a link to Textpattern 5.

There’ll be a much wider focus that’s much more attractive and useful if we all contributed. But it could quickly get out of hand if opened up to the public. TXP is great, we all know, and TXP contributors on this forum are great too, so it could be a “best of TXP” kind of site. Perhaps wellsussed.com or another name would be better for that? Or perhaps there’s a better idea? Or perhaps it was born to fail. Anyone?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer