Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-04-16 16:43:43

franzl

Words like Keyword...

Hi there.

I have take a look into the translation on crowdin. Everything is fine, but there are some words, that where translated that doesnt fit to a germa word. German has a lot of words, yes, but we also use englisch words.

for example:
Keyword = Schlüsselwort
Theme = Template, Layout, Design, Vorlage, Aussehen…

No german would understand this, but if you say Keyword or Theme, everybody knows what you are talking about.

My questions are:
Is this recommended to change this?
Does this mean that the translation would be never get 100%

#2 2020-04-16 16:54:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Words like Keyword...

Thank you for looking at the translations. If you feel a particular term is too convoluted or would be better understood with a simpler term, then by all means change it throughout the language strings. We strive for simplicity and consistency in the software wherever possible.

We’ll pull in the changes when we next sync CrowdIn with our codebase.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2020-04-16 18:52:24

uli

(English translation below)

Hallo Franzl, in den letzten Jahren hab ich die deutsche Übersetzung betreut, bis mich zwei Erkrankungen und eine konservative bis rückständige Kombination von App/Betriebssystem/Browser daran gehindert haben, dies fortzuführen. Ich konnte Crowdin dadurch schlichtweg nicht mehr benutzen. Das ändert sich hoffentlich in absehbarer Zeit wieder.

Die prozentualen Lücken müssten meines Wissens hauptsächlich durch die fehlenden Übersetzungen der Online-Hilfe sowie des Artikels verursacht werden, der auf jeder neu installierten Website erscheint. Auch letzteren hatte ich zwar bereits übersetzt, aber dann wurde er mehrfach im Original umstrukturiert, und damit sind dann ID-Zuordnungen verloren gegangen, was zweimal zum Verlust der gesamten Übersetzung geführt hat. Das war arg frustrierend, und leider hatte ich ihn unmittelbar in Crowdin übersetzt, nicht lokal in einer Textdatei. Das so nebenher als Tipp fürs Übersetzen längerer Texte ;)

franzl wrote #322614:

Wenn du englische Begriffe im Deutschen einträgst, zählt das als Übersetzung und der Prozentsatz erhöht sich entsprechend deiner Fortschritte. Du musst den Begriff aber eben explizit in die deutsche Sprachdatei eintragen, damit der String nicht mehr leer ist. Wie Bloke schon andeutete, solltest du das Rad nicht neu erfinden, sondern nachsehen, wie bestimmte Begriffe bisher eingesetzt worden sind. Dazu bietet Crowdin eine Suchfunktion, mit deren Hilfe du dir sämtliche Vorkommen englischer Begriffe inkl. ihrer Übersetzungen anzeigen lassen kannst.

Bisher haben wir die Nutzer gesiezt, auch das solltest du fortführen oder eben überall abändern, wovon ich aber wegen der zahlreichen fälligen Änderungen an Verben, Pronomina etc. abraten würde, die das Deutsche dann erfordert.

Danke für deine Hilfe!

deepl.com translation of the German text above (edited):

Hello Franzl, in the last years I have been in charge of the German translation until two illnesses and a conservative to backward combination of app/operating system/browser prevented me from continuing. I simply could not use Crowdin any more. This will hopefully change again in the foreseeable future.

The percentage gaps should be mainly caused by the missing translations of the online help and the article that appears on every newly installed website. I had already translated the latter, but then it was restructured several times in the original and ID assignments were lost, which led to the loss of the entire translation twice. That was very frustrating, and unfortunately I had translated it directly in Crowdin, not locally in a text file. This is just a tip for translating longer texts ;)

If you insert English terms in the German language, they will count as translated and the percentage will increase according to your progress. But you still have to enter the term explicitly in the German language file, only then the string is no longer empty. As Bloke already suggested, you should not reinvent the wheel, but look up how certain terms have been used so far. For this purpose, Crowdin offers a search function which allows you to see all occurrences of English terms including their translations.

So far, we have addressed the users formally with “Sie”, you should continue this or change it everywhere, but I would not recommend it because of the numerous changes to verbs, pronouns, etc. that the German language then requires.

Thanks for your help!

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2020-04-20 15:58:50

franzl

@uli: Danke Dir für die ausführliche Antwort. Ich werde mich da mal “reinwuseln”. :-)

#5 2023-07-14 09:16:04

ethanhenry

What this means is that you should be utilizing words that your potential audience is already using while looking for similar content, products or services

Board footer