1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

#97 2020-03-28 12:11:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Corona virus

That’s a very well done set of lyrics. Not overblown, like it could have been. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve made the case on Facebork for #SpatialDistancing. Not that I have many followers, but y’know. Every little bit.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#98 2020-03-28 16:13:00

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

A few months ago, I would not be spending time to read this article from the conversation.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#99 2020-03-30 08:57:53

zero
Website

I heard a news item on BBC Radio 4 on Friday where a rep of some clothing manufacturers said many NHS staff were approaching them for protective clothing because of such short supply. An association that represent clothing manufacturers (sorry, didn’t get the name) approached the “government” (don’t know who exactly) a week previously with an offer to make any special clothing that was needed. A week later the government had still not got back to them.

I told a friend of mine and she had never heard of it. I searched online and could not find a thing about it. I’ve seen this before from the BBC during the recent election. They pull a story and it’s gone forever.

You’ve probably heard that govts have approached Big Tech about removing fake news and this is certainly going ahead. Try and find anything about using high heat as a treatment for the virus and you won’t. (mmm… just searched again and I can find a few articles, so it has changed since Saturday).

So I’m wondering just how strong the censorship will become on alternative remedies that have not yet been accepted by the mainstream scientific governing bodies. And just how much governments will use this pandemic to enforce various violations to human rights.

BTW: I’ve seen blatant censoring on comments in my local newspaper. They are allowing nothing that opposes the government guidelines. There are idiots who post crazy stuff so in general the censorship in this case is a good thing, but it is also preventing discussion. Just how will this carry on post-pandemic?

Last edited by zero (2020-03-30 09:05:48)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#100 2020-03-30 09:38:20

colak
Admin

Hi Pete,

This is a related thread on twitter from MedFetUK. What we are all experiencing is a systemic failure, and in spite my initial scepticism about the approach in China, their methodology appeared to work.

Yiannis
——————————

#101 2020-03-30 09:49:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Some excellent points, zero. I’ve seen articles pulled or at least made very difficult to find before – not just off the BBC – and kicked myself for not downloading them.

For example, one on how artificial sweetener in drinks doesn’t (and cannot) assist weight loss because of the way the molecules interact with the body’s cells and brain chemistry. It claimed that the ‘high’ of the intense sugar craving (up to 1600x sweeter) combined with the ‘empty calories’ – where your brain thinks you’ve had nutrition but your body says not – causes overeating to fill the deficit, leading to obesity. There was some other stuff in there about the way the molecules attach to (or attack, I can’t remember) certain cells and upset the balance.

But of course, this thread of research – whether proven or not – mystically disappears or is buried, perhaps when the government outlaw sugar in drinks and nigh-on force people to load up on chemical substitutes that profit pharma and the food industries. So we’ll likely not found out if this is true or not.

You’re right that debate is important. Recall that without debate, without criticism, no Administration and no country can succeed. Sure, there are idiots out there, but as long as they’re kept in check, even idiots might spark thought provoking investigation from others that lead to new discoveries.

As we all know, despite what big pharma want us to believe, not everything can be cured with a pill.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#102 2020-03-30 09:53:38

zero
Website

Thanks Yiannis, good to see the news got out there a little bit. Interesting that the BBC are so closely aligning themselves with the government statements that they have supplied protective equipment and all hospitals have received it. Of course, many people are looking for someone to blame so governments will be receiving a lot of flak at present and are under tremendous pressure. So there is a case for keeping criticism to a minimum. I’m very suspicious of many politicians and their motives. So I hope they are genuinely realising it is better to act humanely than think only of the economy.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#103 2020-03-30 10:02:34

zero
Website

Bloke wrote #322350:

how artificial sweetener in drinks

This may not be the article you read but searching on mercola.com might help.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#104 2020-03-30 10:04:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote #322351:

So I hope they are genuinely realising it is better to act humanely than think only of the economy.

Ha! If they were doing that, they’d join forces instead of slagging each other off. I wouldn’t want to be the figurehead in a crisis, irrespective of party politics. It’s more important to tackle the issues than score points for the next election, but this seems to pass the politicians by. Maybe it’s indoctrination in the system that breeds this attitude?

#105 2020-03-30 10:06:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote #322352:

This may not be the article you read.

It’s a close cousin! Thank you so much. I should have remembered that mercola articles don’t appear in search results due to the censorship machine. EDIT: I think one of the studies linked in that article was the one I read, woohoo! I searched via the usual engines, but couldn’t find them when I last checked.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-03-30 10:18:23)

#106 2020-03-30 12:11:05

colak
Admin

Pirate care is a transnational research project and a network of activists, scholars and practitioners who stand against the criminalization of solidarity & for a common care infrastructure. Their research on covid-19 is one of the best I’ve seen coming out of the hacker community.

Yiannis
——————————

#107 2020-03-30 12:41:16

colak
Admin

zero wrote #322351:

Thanks Yiannis, good to see the news got out there a little bit.

The situation is unfortunately the same in the whole of the so called developed world. I don’t know of any country outside some Asian ones that has enough protective gear. Unlike other crises that affected us, this is not one we can fight against. Our only chance is sitting it out.

After 10 days spatially distancing myself, I had to go for food shopping today and felt that I was going to the front line. I know there is a lot to be said about the doctors and nurses but those sitting behind tills should also be acknowledged!

Yiannis
——————————

#108 2020-03-30 13:09:57

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #322357:

I know there is a lot to be said about the doctors and nurses but those sitting behind tills should also be acknowledged!

those sitting behind tills and those delivering your amazon boxes and the truck drivers carrying supplies to a grocer near you and all those other invisible people who keep the light of the city on. The garbage collectors… all heroes for ‘more than just for one night’.

–^–^–^–

some deep going reading matter for a lonely evening: COVID-19 and Circuits of Capital – industrial farming, environment by Rob Wallace e.a

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

Board footer