Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-03-29 06:08:10

alivato

Commenting form, authorization through social networks

Is it possible to modify the standard form for commenting on Textpattern, for example, the Social Login WordPress – Social Login
Or somehow screw it to Textpattern

#2 2020-03-29 07:28:06

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Commenting form, authorization through social networks

txp.tips did it with Disqus, but it is not future-proof. I would not rely on third party tracking apps.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2020-03-29 08:39:11

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

Also, Discource is a self-hosting GNU GPL2 Ruby + JavaScript software for comments, forums, and mailing lists, with associated social accounts.

#4 2020-03-29 09:34:36

jakob
Admin
Website

colak wrote #322342:

txp.tips did it with Disqus, but it is not future-proof. I would not rely on third party tracking apps.

There’s a Textpattern Tip on integrating Textpattern with Disqus, and Disqus does come with various login options.

That said, I have removed it from the (still) forthcoming new version of textpattern.tips because it is a data hog to load, has since also become an ad platform (free version) and is an effective tracker that knows who you are and where you commented across the net and is therefore ideal for ad profile building, also through the Twitter and FB links. AFAIK you cannot really opt out of if you want to use the comments.

I looked at various alternatives before in the end opted to return to Textpattern’s own built-in commenting system and restored the comments back to txp from the Disqus export file.

Vienuolis wrote #322343:

Also, Discourse is a self-hosting GNU GPL2 Ruby + JavaScript software for comments, forums, and mailing lists, with associated social accounts.

I haven’t seen that used as a post-commenting system, only as a forum / messaging board. I looked at that in another context and found that most of my regular LAMP web hosts don’t have the server specs for its software requirements.

Other alternatives

• A feasible, privacy-focussed Disqus alternative with OAuth login is Commento but it is not free.
  • There’s also isso – requires python and SQlite.
  • Hashover (a possible candidate for LAMP servers but the PHP7 capable v2 version is still in development).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2020-03-29 09:36:28

jakob
Admin
Website

alivato wrote #322341:

Is it possible to modify the standard form for commenting on Textpattern, for example, the Social Login WordPress …

To come back to your original question, I would welcome the possibility to use OAuth (for example) for commenting, or FB / Google for those who prefer.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2020-03-29 09:45:55

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

The only issue we have with the comments system is the problem of pagination which is needed for sites that receive a lot of them. I know that Jukka had a solution for this but I’m not sure if it still works.

shop local:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2020-03-29 09:58:12

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

Pagination break threading. Perhaps ‛load more…’ would be solution.

Board footer