Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

#73 2020-03-26 12:14:01

Algaris

Re: Corona virus

Since my original post things have changed quite a bit and I’m subject to the same lock down that other people from the UK have mentioned.

Within my school I’ve been classed as being in a critical onsite role to keep our virtual learning environments up and running. I have to work a shift so that I’m working in my school for 2½ days and at home for 2½ days. I have a never ending stream of support requests coming through and I’ve had to have remote training sessions with our teachers who are now teaching our students virtually from their homes. I’m very grateful that I’m still able to work and be payed at my full-time rate.

When I walk to and from work it’s like a ghost town. The main dual carriage way that I walk along is nearly deserted rather than having the usual rush hour traffic queues.

I’ve also had notification that my main supermarket is now going to restrict the number of people who can be inside at the same time. I’ll have to queue (at 2 meters apart) and wait for my turn to enter the supermarket before I can do my weekly shop.

#74 2020-03-26 16:07:27

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi Ross,
I’m. sorry you still have to go to work. It’s strange that Corbyn’s digital manifesto, authored by Richard Barbrook, is on the first stages of becoming a reality.

Re your shopping, this video on YouTube posted by a doctor is currently trending: Safe Grocery Shopping in COVID-19 Pandemic.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#75 2020-03-26 16:51:19

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

They’ve started putting limits on shop entrances here too. Mainly the local ones; two in while the rest queue in marked squares on the pavement a few metres apart. Not that people are taking much notice of limits once inside. Nor are the staff, shelf stacking and nudging against you as you wander around. People in the post office are wearing one-use gloves but not changing them between customers. Duh!

Still, at least when you get home and have all that extra time on your hands, there’s always fun to be had making pointlessly entertaining Rube Goldberg machines (Twatter link, sorry. It’s old, but worth a look if you’ve not seen it).

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#76 2020-03-26 16:58:47

zero
Website

colak wrote #322306:

Corbyn’s digital manifesto

I like Jeremy Corbyn, but he and the Labour party are ignoring Goggle, Faecebook and 5G. My local Labour party communicate via a “secret, safe group” on Farcebook and think I’m a conspiracy theorist for objecting. I’ve written to MPs and had negative replies regarding 5G. Local councils use recaptcha to be able to enter their online info and sign up for ebilling etc. I’ve written that the recaptcha is invisible for me cos I’ve banned Gobble from my computer and asked them to consider open-source alternatives that protect privacy, but I just get told they will continue with paper letters and bills in my case. It’s the same with several online organisations. But that’s gone off-topic.

Safe Grocery Shopping in COVID-19 Pandemic.

That’s good advice although I don’t fancy washing fruit in soap!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#77 2020-03-26 17:18:04

bici
Website Mastodon

zero wrote #322308:

I like Jeremy Corbyn, but he and the Labour party are ignoring Goggle, Faecebook and 5G. My local Labour party communicate via a “secret, safe group” on Farcebook and think I’m a conspiracy theorist for objecting. I’ve written to MPs and had negative replies regarding 5G. Local councils use recaptcha to be able to enter their online info and sign up for ebilling etc. I’ve written that the recaptcha is invisible for me cos I’ve banned Gobble from my computer and asked them to consider open-source alternatives that protect privacy, but I just get told they will continue with paper letters and bills in my case. It’s the same with several online organisations. But that’s gone off-topic.

That’s good advice although I don’t fancy washing fruit in soap!

fruit’s skin is like our skin. wash in soap, rinse thoroughly. munch munch …so good

…. texted postive

#78 2020-03-26 17:42:19

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

zero wrote #322308:

What it comes down to for parties is communication. As problematic as our mainstream social media are, they are the ones attracting the masses. And parties want is to reach as many people as possible with the minimum effort. Unfortunately fb and yt are the best choices.

Re 5G, although I am, like you, very sceptical about the technology, my more learned friends say that there is no evidence yet that it is as bad as many articles and videos on the net make out. We may even concider them as … fake news.

bici wrote #322309:

fruit’s skin is like our skin. wash in soap, rinse thoroughly. munch munch …so good

+1:)

Bloke wrote #322307:

They’ve started putting limits on shop entrances here too. Mainly the local ones; two in while the rest queue in marked squares on the pavement a few metres apart. Not that people are taking much notice of limits once inside. Nor are the staff, shelf stacking and nudging against you as you wander around. People in the post office are wearing one-use gloves but not changing them between customers. Duh!

This is just the beginning. Study the measures taken in China, Italy, Spain, Cyprus. They will arrive there too.

>Edited to add that the half a million mark has been surpassed about an hour ago.

Last edited by colak (2020-03-26 17:51:49)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#79 2020-03-26 22:01:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Although cast with a grim tone, How The World Will Change Over The Next 18 Months is perhaps tinged with a hope I share that this is a positive wake-up call. Not only for climate adjustments and ecological growth, but for fundamentally reshaping the stupid notion that the 9-5 and commuting is mandatory, five days a week.

Other things I hope will be affected are improving our fragile supply chains; reducing the ridiculous always-on supermarket shelves, returning to more seasonal farming methods that are subsequently less reliant on pesticides; becoming more focused on what we consume and how to make it stretch; and rethinking over-cleanliness and abuse of antibiotics that allows viruses to spread voraciously through swathes of the population with low natural immunity.

Of course, I may be far too optimistic that we’ll learn from this.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#80 2020-03-26 22:04:38

bici
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote #322314:

Although cast with a grim tone, How The World Will Change Over The Next 18 Months is perhaps tinged with a hope I share that this is a positive wake-up call. Not only for climate adjustments and ecological growth, but for fundamentally reshaping the stupid notion that the 9-5 and commuting is mandatory, five days a week.

Other things I hope will be affected are improving our fragile supply chains; reducing the ridiculous always-on supermarket shelves, returning to more seasonal farming methods that are subsequently less reliant on pesticides; becoming more focused on what we consume and how to make it stretch; and rethinking over-cleanliness and abuse of antibiotics that allows viruses to spread voraciously through swathes of the population with low natural immunity.

Of course, I may be far too optimistic that we’ll learn from this.

wise words!

…. texted postive

#81 2020-03-27 04:20:49

Summer

Home quarantine has been lifted in most parts of China.
Shopping malls, restaurants, and industries are resuming production.
No new infections have appeared in our city in the past month.
Strict isolation restrictions have effectively slowed down virus transmission.

#82 2020-03-27 04:26:26

bici
Website Mastodon

Summer wrote #322318:

Home quarantine has been lifted in most parts of China.
Shopping malls, restaurants, and industries are resuming production.
No new infections have appeared in our city in the past month.
Strict isolation restrictions have effectively slowed down virus transmission.

which part of china? i assume not in the epicentre of Wuhan?

Last edited by bici (2020-03-27 04:26:44)

…. texted postive

#83 2020-03-27 04:40:54

Summer

In reply to bici #322319:

Wuhan will lift restrictions in April.
Home quarantine restrictions will be lifted, but quarantine measures will continue.

#84 2020-03-27 04:41:58

bici
Website Mastodon

Summer wrote #322320:

In reply to bici #322319:

Wuhan will lift restrictions in April.
Home quarantine restrictions will be lifted, but quarantine measures will continue.

great news about the lift!… gives one a timeline that is hopeful

…. texted postive

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

Board footer