3. » Corona virus

#13 2020-03-11 23:27:06

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Corona virus

colak wrote #322166:

You left one thing out. The virus dies in environments over 25ºC,

I would certainly not bet on that. there were early memes that that virus was seasonal (colder weather favoured). Research coming out of China / Korea / Japan has contradicted that (it possibly is weaker though).

colak wrote #322161:

[…] I understand that there are tests available that can detect the infection. Why don’t they use them?

the virus has an incubation period (4~8 days for first symptoms, ~2 weeks + for serious ). You could test negative on arrival but still carry the virus.

Italy’s closure is an extreme measure but China seems to be leading the way towards a nightmare future.

LOL Guardian China bashing as usual. And yes the closing down of public spaces / gatherings / isolation is the (only) way. China radical and very expensive measures in Wuhan / Hubei slowed down the speed of the spread of the virus. It bought the world 2 months or so to prepare. The (western) world did nothing.

This is not about the virus, it is an experiment on state-control tactics.

I am wondering how much real policy events have escaped our radar because of the virus flooding the news. Distraction of our attention from the real news might be the plan here.

It is of course very useful for some the economy in the western world was already crashing on all sides, now it can be blamed on The Virus™.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#14 2020-03-11 23:57:04

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

phiw13 wrote #322151:

Preventive measure are finally more widespread after a very poor start from the same mafia. Testing kits are also widely available and are free. That is very important.

Here is a twitter overview of a Nikkei article on one of poor start aspects from the Japanese government

#15 2020-03-12 01:29:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

A little more statistical perspective.

I reckon basic, not extreme, everyday hygiene is key. I’d love to find some numbers to back this up, but my feeling is that being too clean – using anti-bacterial handwash every day of your life, for example, or using antibiotics a lot – isn’t going to supply you enough exposure to low-level bacteria that keeps your body on its toes. Thus when you contract something foreign, your body doesn’t know how to fight it and has to relearn, which takes time. Just a hunch.

But now the thing is here and spreading, isn’t basic hygiene all that’s required to help slow its dissemination? Y’know, don’t cough and sneeze on people and food (like, isn’t that standard behaviour anyway?) Don’t lick other people’s hands or faces. Use your sleeve to open door handles in public areas (and don’t lick your sleeve afterwards). Keep your immune system topped up with decent quality food intake. And if you suspect you’ve got the virus, limit your exposure to others – especially those in the high risk bracket – like you would with any regular cold or other contagion.

Common ruddy sense FTW. I’m with colak and phiw13. This is an experiment or diversion.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#16 2020-03-12 02:04:15

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@Bloke

As you like numbers and graphs, I’ll give you this one. Chart 7 is highly interesting.

According to people with knowledge of diseases, virology and epidemics his numbers make sense.

In the graphs you posted above, note that one: “How contagious & deadly is it?”
all diseases above the rectangle for COVID-19 are diseases with known treatment and/or vaccines. The Ebola cases were all solved by (social) isolation and city lock down.

If you want some reading out of China (author is a Canadian-Chinese who mostly works out of Beijing and Hong Kong).

BTW, your ‘remedies’ work before the proverbial s**t hits the fan, we are way past that point in most Western countries But was your hands anyway.

#17 2020-03-12 08:01:14

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Iiiiinteresting. Thanks for the link.

I take your point that we’re way past the point of no return due to stupidity on the part of the Western world. But common sense should still prevail without someone at the top telling us what to do. It’s like people who approach a zebra crossing and walk straight into the road because it’s their right of way, and then complain when they have to dodge (or are hit by) a car. People have a duty of care to themselves.

Anyone who’s under the weather when there are cases of this thing around… stay at home. Especially in more densely populated areas, the concentration is going to be higher. Stands to reason.

I’m intrigued by Patient 31. Although discovered later, was this person the ‘control’? Ground zero. The patsy?

Such interesting times we live.

Btw, today’s advice: hold your breath for 10 seconds. If you can do that without coughing, you’re fine.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#18 2020-03-12 08:41:26

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #322176:

Iiiiinteresting. Thanks for the link.

great, half of it is way above my pay grade but I found it useful as a visualisation.

But common sense should still prevail without someone at the top telling us what to do.

sure, common sense e.a. matter, but once a city / area is hit by a larger clusters of infected people, you lock down. And in this case (this virus) as it is not easy to track all the real world connections of people infected and the places they traveled, you start restricting gatherings large and small all over the country. And you provide lot of places to access testing (Korea: drive-thru testing).

(and that are the first measures)

I’m intrigued by Patient 31. Although discovered later, was this person the ‘control’? Ground zero. The patsy?

That is the woman who started the mass spreading. Member of one of the christian-fundamentalist sects (you don’t what to meet those, makes Wahabi islamist appear almost sane). she spread it during some mass (large gathering!) and refused to go to hospital first. The sect refused to stop or limit their activities for weeks. If memory serves she was infected by some Chinese members of an affiliated sect.

Btw, today’s advice: hold your breath for 10 seconds. If you can do that without coughing, you’re fine.

LOL if I do that on a bad day my breathing goes bonkers and some coughing might happen. Asthma does that you. Yesterday we were joking with my wife after seeing some symptoms list that I probably suffer over half the COVID-19 symptoms. That is the kind of things that make self-diagnosis very difficult.

#19 2020-03-12 10:27:49

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #322176:

[FX: the sound of many forum readers holding their breath, quietly hoping they won’t die.]

#20 2020-03-12 11:28:57

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

We are saved!!!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#21 2020-03-12 12:24:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #322179:

We are saved!!!

Oh. Em. Gee. *shakes head*

cf. phiw13’s note above about Patient 31.

#22 2020-03-13 16:35:19

colak
Admin

Here’s a 2014 article by Zeynep Tufekci on the Ebola virus epidemic. She said that we should panic not because it threatens the US or the EU but what it reveals about our failing institutions.
medium.com/message/ebola-the-real-reason-everyone-should-panic-889f32740e3e

Yiannis
——————————

#23 2020-03-14 00:21:15

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #322182:

Here’s a 2014 article by Zeynep Tufekci on the Ebola virus epidemic. She said that we should panic not because it threatens the US or the EU but what it reveals about our failing institutions.

That is about right… both public and private organisations / institutions are failing spectacularly.

(Naked emperor… sound of very small violin…)

#24 2020-03-17 11:56:21

colak
Admin

As from yesterday, Cyprus is under a state of emergency. Everything has closed down, so it is much easier to say what is open.

• The building industry
  • Pharmacies
  • Take away restaurants
  • Supermarkets
  • Kiosks
  • Corner stores
  • Medical places (doctors, labs, etc)

Although I should feel OK re the building industry, I had 2 projects postponed until the emergency is lifted. Also, there is a scandal behind this exception.

Yiannis
——————————

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

Board footer