Website

Advertising is...

#2 2020-02-29 19:36:18

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Advertising is...

Destry wrote #322001:

A cancer on society

First of all, he suffers from major hubris – “All these corporations are so obsessed with me that they monitor my every move.” No, they don’t actually.

Advertising can certainly add to the costs of good and services – but it can also less the costs of others. Either he thinks he can afford to pay for news without advertising (totally elitist) but he also doesn’t care that other people can’t (also totally elitist).

Some people point out that Google benefited the most from GDPR, and more legislation like it would only make life even more difficult for innovative adtech upstarts, benefiting the large incumbents instead. But this might actually be a good thing – we don’t need more innovation in that market, we need that market to wither and die. It’s also easier for regulators to keep few larger companies in line than it is to deal with a convoluted network of fly-by-night adtech startups.

I can’t believe anyone actually believes that. As I’ve pointed out before, Google has forced countries like Germany and Spain to change laws by simply enacting a policy change. While small companies can be regulated and even regulated out of business, multinationals will do what they want and just throw money at lawyers and lobbyists.

This is why my kid isn’t going to watch YouTube. If and when we decide to show her any children’s show, it’ll be from a manually curated set of videos downloaded and streamed from a NAS. In my opinion, it’s irresponsible to expose children to modern advertising.

Translation: I am going to pirate content. Anyone who doesn’t pirate content is a bad parent.

#3 2020-02-29 23:13:56

Destry
Website

michaelkpate wrote #322013:

No, they don’t actually.

Or, maybe they do

Either he thinks he can afford to pay for news without advertising (totally elitist) but he also doesn’t care that other people can’t (also totally elitist).

It seems to me the article is mostly not about news advertising; rather, as much all the other kinds.

‘Man is at his vilest when he erects a billboard.’ – David Ogilvy

Or any IoT thing.

Even billboards will be tracking us soon if the 5G worshippers have their way.

Translation: I am going to pirate content. Anyone who doesn’t pirate content is a bad parent.

It might be ‘hubris’ that influences his methods, and a little bit of the new parent zeal, like all first-time parents get tinged with.

As for my kids, we have no problem watching YT videos through invidious most of the time, and always without any Google account, regardless. I can live with that.

I’d go one more and say it’s irresponsible to let kids have social media accounts, but most parents are not good example setters. Most teachers either, as it turns out.

#4 2020-03-01 18:21:03

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Destry wrote #322019:

As for my kids, we have no problem watching YT videos through invidious most of the time, and always without any Google account, regardless. I can live with that.

Hi Destry

As invidios still has the YT suggested videos, I would still be careful. Check this ted hosted talk by Bridle.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2020-03-01 20:08:14

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Advertising has been around for 100s of years, maybe he should just get over it. By all means limit your child’s exposure to it where you can, can’t argue with that.

#6 2020-03-01 22:55:54

Destry
Website

I think the author’s only failure is not connecting advertising — notably in the last 100 years — with consumerism, overproduction, throw-away economy, resource depletion, globalisation, and the climate predicament the planet is in as a result of it all. Anyone who can’t do the math on that has the privilege of getting over it too easy. Oddly enough that is most of western civilization (and those other coal and oil-rich countries), though the supply chains and markets have taken a poinding lately, eh?

#7 2020-03-02 22:35:56

bici
Website Mastodon

apropos nothing:

from today’s Guardian : Textiles

Name: Textiles.
Appearance: Nice and warm.
Are we talking about fabrics? No, just the people who wear them.
You mean absolutely everyone? Not quite.
Which constituency could it possibly exclude? Naturists. “Textiles” is a word they sometimes use to refer to the clothes-wearing majority.

…. texted postive

Board footer