Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-02-27 11:47:58

saccade
Plugin Author

Re: Search results do not appear

now … that’s mysterious …

though the query is dumped when simply opening the article tab,

after initiating the URL-search, there is NO dump. simply a clean tab with a clean “no results” message.

does that mean it gets kicked out even before touching the database?

edit:
also if I open the article tab, the query will be dumped,

if I now enter something in the search input, notabene Title/Body/Excerpt and Category checked,
the an empty results will appear, but the dump doesn’t change!, so there has been no query.

and checked again: if I check only Title/Body/Excerpt and conduct a search it is entirely the same:
no change in the query dump, it is the original one as of opening the article tab.

Last edited by saccade (2020-02-27 11:59:47)

#14 2020-02-27 11:53:42

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Maybe. Intriguing. What happens if you change the URL to omit the title, body, excerpt:

https://example.org/textpattern/index.php?crit=penguins&event=list&step=list&select_all=all&search_method%5B%5D=categories

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2020-02-27 12:02:17

saccade
Plugin Author

this is going to work, also with expected results in the articles list:

SELECT
                textpattern.ID, textpattern.Title, textpattern.url_title, textpattern.Section,
                textpattern.Category1, textpattern.Category2,
                textpattern.Status, textpattern.Annotate, textpattern.AuthorID,
                UNIX_TIMESTAMP(textpattern.Posted) AS posted,
                UNIX_TIMESTAMP(textpattern.LastMod) AS lastmod,
                UNIX_TIMESTAMP(textpattern.Expires) AS expires,
                category1.title AS category1_title,
                category2.title AS category2_title,
                section.title AS section_title,
                user.RealName AS RealName,
                (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM v07_txp_discuss WHERE parentid = textpattern.ID) AS total_comments
            FROM v07_textpattern textpattern
        LEFT JOIN v07_txp_category category1 ON category1.name = textpattern.Category1 AND category1.type = 'article'
        LEFT JOIN v07_txp_category category2 ON category2.name = textpattern.Category2 AND category2.type = 'article'
        LEFT JOIN v07_txp_section section ON section.name = textpattern.Section
        LEFT JOIN v07_txp_users user ON user.name = textpattern.AuthorID WHERE ( textpattern.Category1 like '%gottesdienste%' or textpattern.Category2 like '%gottesdienste%' or category1.title like '%gottesdienste%' or category2.title like '%gottesdienste%' )  ORDER BY textpattern.ID desc LIMIT 0, 96

Last edited by saccade (2020-02-27 12:03:29)

#16 2020-02-27 12:10:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

So it seems the reason the search isn’t working is maybe not to do with the database at all, but because the query isn’t even reaching the part of the page to perform the search. Or something. Hmmm.

*scratches head and stubble*

I wonder if the vendors/Textpattern/Search files will reveal anything. I think to narrow this down we’re going to need some low-level debugging.

Do you mind providing me with some file-access credentials so I can poke around your Textpattern installation and upload a few tweaked Txp files to try and figure out what’s going on? Or shall we carry on back-and-forthing here trying to find where things are going sideways?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#17 2020-02-27 12:13:09

saccade
Plugin Author

I’ll send you access :)

#18 2020-02-27 16:49:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thanks to Michael’s generosity at letting me use his server, I’ve narrowed it down. This is actually an issue with the volume of data in the textpattern table and a host-imposed setting to protect the shared hosting environment. Our admin-side search query is choking thus:

The SELECT would examine more than MAX_JOIN_SIZE rows; check your WHERE and use SET SQL_BIG_SELECTS=1 or SET MAX_JOIN_SIZE=# if the SELECT is okay

We need to find a way to fix this in core so the queries are less hungry, or in some way manageable. For anyone hitting this issue, we apologise, and will try to find a fix.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-02-27 16:51:10)

Board footer