Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-02-19 19:17:07

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Github what?

I feared Github’s death after its acquisition from Microsoft. Would this be the first nail on the coffin?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2020-02-19 21:18:46

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Github what?

colak wrote #321810:

I feared Github’s death after its acquisition from Microsoft. Would this be the first nail on the coffin?

Why did Microsoft buy Minecraft?

Mojang gives Microsoft an asset and community that could cultivate a younger demographic. If you’ve ever seen an elementary school kid go into a Minecraft coma you know the power that Mojang has. To younger customers, Microsoft’s core brand is really Xbox. If Microsoft is going to have an installed base to up sell as these customers move to smartphones to tablets to PCs to enterprise applications and cloud Minecraft is a good place to start. – Microsoft buys Mojang, Minecraft: Five reasons it makes strategic sense

Why did Microsoft buy LinkedIn?

To succeed, however, Nadella must do more than fix the company’s business. He must turn around Microsoft’s lethargic, boastful, go-it-alone reputation — especially in clubby Silicon Valley where deals are made over dinners, the most talented entrepreneurs have their pick of big-name investors, and talent is hard to woo. In the constant competition over engineers, designers and product managers, Microsoft must establish itself as a smart place to do great work. In other words, in Silicon Valley it’s gotta be cool. – Now We Know Why Microsoft Bought LinkedIn

Why did Microsoft buy Github?

The purchase — if you assume GitHub will essentially run independently — will give Microsoft a different standing with developers. GitHub is a central repository of code. It’s the primary vehicle for developers to share. And GitHub is critical to developers. Should Microsoft not screw up this GitHub mojo it’s standing with developers will only improve. Double bonus if contributors to GitHub keep adding code. – Why Microsoft is buying GitHub: It’s all about developer relationships

It is entirely possible that Microsoft does something stupid in the future but at least for now, they are trying not to.

#3 2020-02-19 22:13:30

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #321810:

Nah, that is only further integrating in the MS (cloud)-eco system. MS did not invest that much in Github to kill it, or to just mine it and let it rot (Facecrap/Google way of doing). But yeah, it will at every turn be further integrated into the MS cloud environment, even though it will still work as a standalone product.

And at every turn it will be further used for MS data-mining strategy.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#4 2020-02-20 11:34:51

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Microsoft bought GitHub as a strategy to foster goodwill towards the Microsoft brand from the developer community, which in turn they can then use to drive developers to their own (profitable) initiatives. Not all that evil really (at least not for now). So I’m not too worried by this news.

Let’s not forget that GitHub was burning money at an alarming rate and was actively looking to be bought by one of the big tech players (like most tech startups plan to do, in reality). They had no real sustainable financial business model to speak of.

Basically, I’d rather ‘current Microsoft’ bought it than Google or Facebook (or ‘old Microsoft’).

#5 2020-02-20 13:41:23

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #321817:

I’d rather ‘current Microsoft’ bought it than Google or Facebook (or ‘old Microsoft’).

This, in a nutshell. From Microsoft’s customer acquisition and retention point of view, startups (and also students) who are setting out on a new venture will learn how GitHub works, and expect to use it beyond the free period. Microsoft’s revenue is largely driven by Azure servers and Office subscriptions these days, not Windows licences. I would expect easier integration between GitHub and Azure over time. Build on GitHub, deploy to Azure, done, what’s next.

Broadly the same reason why Adobe didn’t go full bore against younger Photoshop pirates back in the day – get the kids hooked, when they get jobs they expect Photoshop. I’m thankful Adobe didn’t buy GitHub!

Board footer