Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2020-02-18 09:41:35

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.8.0-beta.3 released

Bloke wrote #321740:

But is it possible to have XML off and SimpleXML on? I doubt it. If so, SimpleXML is a good enough catch-all.

May be possible at compile time, whether or not anyone will do it is another question! It’d make for a very odd PHP binary.

If we make it a required component, it’s a required component and if you upgrade without checking, tough, you’ll get nothing but an error message until you enable it.

I think the point I’m getting at is that it’s not a big deal to be more specific with the requirements, when the vast majority of people who have XML stuff in their PHP already likely have SimpleXML. The report was from DigitalOcean, and I’ve had the same problem on DO before – JSON and XML stuff was missing when I installed from apt, but it’s not a stretch to assume that anyone using DO for hosting has a more developer-y nature than most people, or at the very least they can understand that extra components are required before they plonk down a working install.

If I install an PHP + MySQL web app, I expect to be given a set of pre reqs in the installer, over and above the sys reqs doc. Magento does it, and won’t let you proceed until you hit the minimum. I think Wordpress used to do it, but I’ve not installed that in a while. OpenProject does it. It is wholly reasonable to check that the software you’re about to install will actually install and work (to a greater extent).

The flipside is not being so militant about it, not making it required per se, and keeping the commit I added yesterday so upgraders will be fine (bar pophelp) but fresh installers will get no default content and a broken front end.

Emphasis mine. That’s a snag, in my opinion. A seasoned Textpatterner will know there’s fiddling around to do, a newbie won’t. Upgraders who go blindly full bore without backups or checked because they know best, there’s a special place in my blackened heart for them. We can’t help them if they won’t read stuff. Something automated that undertakes some sane checks for how well-prepared the system is, that’d be useful. Less human work overall, and we can better understand how systems are prepared. For example, if a check happens and some stuff is missing or outdated, knowing what (perhaps via diagnostics for that check) will be helpful for helping.

#50 2020-02-18 10:13:58

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I managed to narrow the problem which only manifests when using PHP version 7.4.2. On PHP versions 7.2.27 and 7.3.14 the images seem to be functioning fine.

@Bloke. I have left the dev site on v7.4.2 for you to check.

>Edited to add that I forgot exactly when I started testing on the new php version but it was sometime within the last couple of weeks.

Last edited by colak (2020-02-18 10:46:32)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#51 2020-02-18 11:52:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Happy to leave the blanket check for SimpleXML and PHP version, and list them both as sys reqs. Seems simplest and may, as you say, only affect a minority of dev-minded folk.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#52 2020-02-18 16:09:21

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #321747:

Happy to leave the blanket check for SimpleXML and PHP version, and list them both as sys reqs. Seems simplest and may, as you say, only affect a minority of dev-minded folk.

We should remember to add it to the system requirements when 4.8 is officially released.

Yiannis
——————————

#53 2020-02-18 16:36:50

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I can see some strangeness with image thumbnail creation here. Using beta.3, various versions of PHP, if I upload a new image, the thumbnail is not created. I can create the thumbnail from the image detail panel, and then subsequent image uploads inherit those thumbnail dimensions. Is this expected? Yiannis, does this match your observations?

Last edited by gaekwad (2020-02-18 16:51:29)

#54 2020-02-18 16:49:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

That’s how it’s always worked, as far as I recall. The thumbnail dimensions are empty (0) on install so no thumbnail will be created. Only after you manually create one for your first image will it remember those dimensions and automatically apply them to future image thumbs.

Is this odd? Probably. But the only way round this is to pick a pre-defined size. What size thumbnail would we start with? 70×70, 100×75, 100×100, …? Either way, after you upload your first image, you get a thumbnail of that size. If it happens to be the right size for your site, great. Chances are it won’t be, so you’ll have to go and recreate it anyway for the first image, which is the same end result as not having one at all.

This’ll change when we implement the grid as we’ll have to create thumbnails for that.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#55 2020-02-18 16:51:09

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Ah, then please ignore me – I don’t usually use the image upload function. As designed!

#56 2020-02-18 17:16:03

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #321752:

I can see some strangeness with image thumbnail creation here. Using beta.3, various versions of PHP, if I upload a new image, the thumbnail is not created. I can create the thumbnail from the image detail panel, and then subsequent image uploads inherit those thumbnail dimensions. Is this expected? Yiannis, does this match your observations?

I am experimenting with an already existing installation of our site but on another url. As such my experience is more about upgrading rather than fresh installs.

The w+h boxes are not visible for me and there is no other way to create a thumbnail but to upload one.

I have posted a screenshot which demonstrates what I see here.

Bloke wrote #321753:

That’s how it’s always worked, as far as I recall. The thumbnail dimensions are empty (0) on install so no thumbnail will be created.

Was that how it was? The amount details you forget after working on the same site for so many years is amazing.

Only after you manually create one for your first image will it remember those dimensions and automatically apply them to future image thumbs.

That is the behaviour I expected after uploading the image. Instead, the image is uploaded, but after visiting its page, I can not see any “create thumbnail button”, w, h, text fields, or the crop select box. The upload thumbnail button is the only one appearing in the thumbnail area.

Yiannis
——————————

#57 2020-02-18 17:20:02

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #321755:

The w+h boxes are not visible for me and there is no other way to create a thumbnail but to upload one.

I have posted a screenshot which demonstrates what I see here.

If you check Diagnostics, is GD Graphics Library detected?

#58 2020-02-18 17:27:29

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #321756:

If you check Diagnostics, is GD Graphics Library detected?

It is indeed.

Yiannis
——————————

#59 2020-02-18 17:29:37

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #321757:

It is indeed.

No JPG support on the GD Graphics Library. Try the same thing with a PNG file, I bet it works.

#60 2020-02-18 17:35:04

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #321758:

No JPG support on the GD Graphics Library. Try the same thing with a PNG file, I bet it works.

Well spotted!! I’ll write to my host.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer