Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2020-01-30 12:57:24

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.8.0-beta.2 released

colak wrote #321431:

Having said that www.openwebanalytics.com/ looks interesting.

You might want to look at Fathom, which has an open-source variant but has some specific server requirements. I couldn’t get it to work quite as I wanted. There’s a pay variant of that, though, where you don’t have to deal with that. You can use it for several sites at once.

Another pay service that says no consent notice is required at all is simpleanalytics. The reports are pleasingly simple to appraise too. Again, when used for several sites without huge page views, it could be a real alternative if you split the cost.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#26 2020-01-31 07:41:04

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve updated one (small and simple) real world site. Everything went fine. The com_connect plugin still works fine and sends a saner agent-string: X-PHP-Originating-Script: 72467:com_connect.php.

One note: on the upgrading page, please add a note that the /textpattern/plugins must be writeable, else you get a bunch of warnings when logging in. That makes everybody unhappy – Diagnostics panel would explain the issue as well, who sees that when first logging in ? (and yeah, my upgrade was on shared server with PHP/Apache configured that way).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#27 2020-01-31 11:18:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #321444:

on the upgrading page, please add a note that the /textpattern/plugins must be writeable

Good catch. Since we’ve not officially released 4.8.0 yet, I’ve not done this here (yet). But I have:

• Added info about downloading the beta there.
  • Added mention of the plugins directory permissions on the new installation and upgrading docs.
phiw13 wrote #321444:

else you get a bunch of warnings when logging in

PHP warning messages? That’s not good. I’d like there to be no horrible warnings if the dir is not writeable. We should trap this and spit out something nicer. Would you raise an issue with steps-to-reproduce please so we can keep it on our radar and see if something can be done about it.

Thanks!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#28 2020-01-31 11:44:39

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #321446:

Good catch. Since we’ve not officially released 4.8.0 yet, I’ve not done this here (yet). But I have […]:

Good, that is what i like to see :-).

PHP warning messages? That’s not good. I’d like there to be no horrible warnings if the dir is not writeable. We should trap this and spit out something nicer. Would you raise an issue with steps-to-reproduce please so we can keep it on our radar and see if something can be done about it.

Hmm, not sure if those where those typical PHP thingies you get when you enable debugging mode. doubts doubts… it is anyway at the top of each page / panel. I’ll see how I can go about to reproduce it with screenshots and all those fancy things.

#29 2020-02-03 01:31:54

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #321446:

PHP warning messages? That’s not good. I’d like there to be no horrible warnings if the dir is not writeable. We should trap this and spit out something nicer.

Here you go: issue 1465. excuse the poor markdown formatting as usual..

#30 2020-02-03 10:48:53

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

phiw13 wrote #321444:

I’ve updated one (small and simple) real world site. Everything went fine. The com_connect plugin still works fine and sends a saner agent-string: X-PHP-Originating-Script: 72467:com_connect.php.

One note: on the upgrading page, please add a note that the /textpattern/plugins must be writeable, else you get a bunch of warnings when logging in. That makes everybody unhappy – Diagnostics panel would explain the issue as well, who sees that when first logging in ? (and yeah, my upgrade was on shared server with PHP/Apache configured that way).

Just to say that there is no such issue on my server with 755 permissions on the plugins folder.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#31 2020-02-03 12:00:32

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #321488:

Just to say that there is no such issue on my server with 755 permissions on the plugins folder.

Yes but since we cannot guarantee that such permissions are set after uploading, nor whether the server requires different permissions to those in the upload bundle, we should see if it’s possible to be less invasive with the errors/warnings/notices.

We can get away with this in Files, Image and Themes because they’re not on the critical path: all content is optional and you are warned before you take any action. Plugins, however, are now mandatory to store on disk to avoid eval() issues so we need to find a way to more gracefully fail if conditions aren’t met on upgrade with an existing plugin base.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#32 2020-02-03 12:38:55

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #321489:

we need to find a way to more gracefully fail if conditions aren’t met on upgrade with an existing plugin base.

It should die without complaining now, but plugins will be unusable.

#33 2020-02-03 12:56:20

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #321491:

It should die without complaining now, but plugins will be unusable.

Does it still give the TXP error / warning messages on the Diagnostics & Plugins panel ? I would hope so, to make the problem discoverable.

Bloke wrote #321489:

Yes but since we cannot guarantee that such permissions are set after uploading, nor whether the server requires different permissions to those in the upload bundle, we should see if it’s possible to be less invasive with the errors/warnings/notices.

Most important to me is being as discrete as possible on the Font end. For the Admin side is, as long as the user can log in and discover some more about the issue, it probably is OK to show a bit of error messages everywhere (although the PHP error message itself was not particularly clear)

#34 2020-02-03 13:04:51

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #321492:

Does it still give the TXP error / warning messages on the Diagnostics & Plugins panel ?

It should, but I have not tested, please do.

Most important to me is being as discrete as possible on the Font end.

At worst you will probably get the usual ‘unregistered tag’ warning in debug mode.

#35 2020-02-03 13:14:03

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #321493:

It should, but I have not tested, please do.

Will do as soon as possible.

At worst you will probably get the usual ‘unregistered tag’ warning in debug mode.

That is OK, esp if it is only in debug mode, as you don’t usually keep a live site in debug mode.

#36 2020-02-04 09:03:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thanks for opening the issue, phiw13, and for your diligent testing. We’re getting closer to a resolution I think.

Board footer