Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-01-28 12:01:39

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

RFC: rewriting forum links from textpattern.io to textpattern.com

This is a request for advice and feedback.

Some years ago, this forum lived in the forum.textpattern.io subdomain. Now, it lives on forum.textpattern.com, with an automatic redirect from the .io site to the .com site.

During the .io tenure, internal forum URLs used .io, so quotes, links and the like all went to the ‘correct’ place. Now, we use .com for internal links, quotes and so on. When a legacy .io link is used, it bounces to the .io site, and then bounces back to the .com site. You end up at the correct place, but there’s an unnecessary jump.

I am considering replacing links from forum.textpattern.io to forum.textpattern.com at a database level, which will remove this hop-out-then-hop-in route. The net result is that things will be a little faster, since there are few hops, and a little less server load since there are no redirects to handle.

I am aware of the legacy of some Textpattern people who are no longer with us, their contributions and posts here, and the memories people have. Editing posts at a database level will potentially make their post contributions different, without the customary Last Edited:… tag at the end.

I have convinced myself of the technical reasons to investigate this rewrite thing, but I would like your opinion on what I’m missing from a human angle. As is sometimes the case with me, I may be overthinking this whole thing.

What do you think? Comments welcome.

Last edited by gaekwad (2020-01-28 12:02:35)

#2 2020-01-28 19:56:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: RFC: rewriting forum links from textpattern.io to textpattern.com

If the links can be rewritten safely with some search/replace goodness then that’s great. Does editing stuff at that level rewrite the dates and attributions of a post, and such like? I guess if it uses triggers it might, unless you temporarily turned the triggers off prior to running the find/replace.

Presumably it’ll take a while too, although some judicial WHERE Posted BETWEEN YYY-MM-DD AND YYY-MM-DD could mitigate that somewhat, since we know the rough timeframes of when .io was in use.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2020-01-28 20:01:35

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #321394:

Does editing stuff at that level rewrite the dates and attributions of a post, and such like? I guess if it uses triggers it might, unless you temporarily turned the triggers off prior to running the find/replace.

This is something I was ruminating on. I’ll run a localised test first, see what happens.

Presumably it’ll take a while too, although some judicial WHERE Posted BETWEEN YYY-MM-DD AND YYY-MM-DD could mitigate that somewhat, since we know the rough timeframes of when .io was in use.

Yeah. The database runs to about 400MB or so, with the posts table taking about 120MB of that (edit: database reports 241k posts – wow!).

I shall go poke the bear, in a testing sense.

Last edited by gaekwad (2020-01-28 20:02:30)

#4 2020-01-28 20:09:12

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

627 of 241,414 posts include the string ‘forum.textpattern.io’ – internal links are handled by ../viewtopic.php so nothing to change there.

Might be quite easy, actually. I’ve manually changed one post, no changes to attribution, date stamp, editing etc.

Board footer