Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-01-16 16:00:52

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

State of comment spam protection in 4.7.3

What’s the current state of comment spam protection in 4.7.3?

There was rah_comment_spam before, but i am unsure to use a plugin from 2015.

And what about using recaptchas (i would love not to use this, if to get rid of Google tracking algorhythms)

Thank you in advance.

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#2 2020-01-16 17:22:52

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: State of comment spam protection in 4.7.3

Although I haven’t used the comments for years, I always used moderation rather than plugins. Are you suffering badly?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2020-01-16 17:31:58

jakob
Admin
Website

I tried rah_comment_spam (v0.9 from GitHub) on a current dev version of txp 4.8 and it’s working fine. I’ve not had enough responses to say how well it performs its functions but it does have a lot of options.

RE: recaptcha, Bloke has mentioned here he was working on a plugin for com_connect which I guess could also work for comments.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2020-01-16 17:40:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Yes, I have a ReCaptcha plugin running in the wild. I’ve not heard any complaints so assume it’s working. I’ll get in touch with the person who commissioned it to find out for sure. If it’s doing it’s job I’ll release it. Up to you if you use it as a last resort or not.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2020-05-05 16:23:46

jakob
Admin
Website

Bloke wrote #321144:

Yes, I have a ReCaptcha plugin running in the wild. I’ve not heard any complaints so assume it’s working. I’ll get in touch with the person who commissioned it to find out for sure. If it’s doing it’s job I’ll release it. Up to you if you use it as a last resort or not.

I’m sure there was a post where you put this out but I can’t find it. One way or the other, just thought I’d note that there’s now also hCaptcha which is a non-Google drop-in replacement and “free to use for publishers of any size” according to the website.
I’ve no experience of it, but just mentioning it as many may prefer it.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2020-05-05 17:06:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #322863:

there’s now also hCaptcha

Thanks for the tip. It looks like a replacement for ReCaptcha v2 (the one where you solve stuff) compared to ReCaptcha v3 which “just works” (somehow) based on the way you interact with the form and doesn’t ask you any questions.

It’s the latter version I’ve used in the plugin extension, so I’m not sure how compatible it will be with hCaptcha. But I’ll give it a look over anyway and see if there’s a way to integrate it so you can choose between Google or not. Always nice to have options.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2020-05-05 17:42:34

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Board footer