Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-06-13 00:54:27

maruchan
Website

Using comments as a sort of guestbook?

I’m running a blog with TXP and some of my readers have asked about a comment facility. What I’d like to do first is set up a really basic guestbook, something that’s on a seasonal rotation. So here’s what I’m thinking:

• Create a new section called blog-community
  • Start a new, themed guestbook (so an article in that section, which allows comments) every new season, and allow people to make comments on that article
  • Lock up the old guestbook (article) for commenting after the new one is started

I’d like to style the page like a guestbook, with a message and a theme at the top, interesting graphics, some rules, etc. I think I can do this just by putting the article ID in a body class attribute or something like that.

My questions are:

• Does this seem like it would work? Any common problems I am not foreseeing (I haven’t enabled comments before)?
  • Is any kind of basic threading available? Even just a single level?
  • How is spam handled?

I’d like to stay as non-plugin-based as possible, though I’m open to the idea of using plugins.

Thanks!

#2 2019-06-13 03:39:44

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Using comments as a sort of guestbook?

The only problem I can think of is pagination. If your guestbook receives a lot of comments the page might become too long. Jukka made a plugin which paginated the comments but I don’t know if it works in the latest txp versions.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2019-06-13 06:55:09

jakob
Admin
Website

Nested comments is also not built-in to textpattern but there is peg_nested_comments that can help with that…

Let us know how you get on!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2019-06-13 23:04:27

maruchan
Website

Thank you both. Regarding pagination I can see maybe using a JS-based paginator, or calling in comments via MySQL and GET variables. So I will think about this when we get there, I suppose :-)

jakob, thank you for the tip on peg_nested_comments. I will check it out.

#5 2020-01-16 15:36:59

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

What happened to rah_comment_spam? Is this still working on 4.7.3? Some of the spam protecting ideas in there seem very clever…

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

Board footer