Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-12-17 00:14:58

gilibaus
Website

Link to last published article

Sorry if this has been asked before, searched the forum but could not find any answer. I publish a new article every week and all of them belong to the same section. I need a single URL that always points to the last published individual article in that section. Any hint? Thanks.

Last edited by gilibaus (2019-12-17 00:16:09)

#2 2019-12-17 05:34:12

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Link to last published article

gilibaus wrote #320575:

Sorry if this has been asked before, searched the forum but could not find any answer. I publish a new article every week and all of them belong to the same section. I need a single URL that always points to the last published individual article in that section. Any hint? Thanks.

That would be very bad as people would not be able to bookmark the individual article. One way would be to create a section (you can call it ‘latest’) and parse your latest article there using article_custom tag.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2019-12-17 08:56:59

gilibaus
Website

colak wrote #320576:

That would be very bad as people would not be able to bookmark the individual article.

Thanks. No need to bookmark the individual article. It’s the latest episode of my podcast and the URL would be placed in email footer so that the reader can go to the latest episode, which is a normal behaviour. I had thought adding an URL parameter via adi_gps plugin. Is it a viable alternative?

#4 2019-12-17 09:24:33

Destry
Website

Maybe you want to check out if_first_article, if_last_article, or newer tags. I’m sure there are multiple possibilities for handling this.

Learning tag options/capabilities is your means to most ends. ;)

All tag pages have various examples in them. (Some could be improved, but that will gradually smooth out.)

#5 2019-12-17 09:32:21

Destry
Website

gilibaus wrote #320580:

It’s the latest episode of my podcast and the URL would be placed in email footer so that the reader can go to the latest episode.

Ah… The latest article will always be the last one published to a given section, so if you have a podcasts section like this, domain.tld/podcasts/, then that’s also the link to the latest article, so long as you’re only showing one article at a time in that section.

If you’re showing multiple podcasts in that section, then you might want to use the if_first_article tag I mentioned. Something like that. Maybe you have some ideas now.

#6 2019-12-17 09:37:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

If you don’t mind the URL structure: example.org/articles?latest=1 you could do this in your page template:

<txp:variable name="is_latest"><txp:page_url type="latest" /></txp:variable>
<txp:if_variable name="is_latest" value="1">
    <txp:article limit="1" />
</txp:else>
   <txp:article />
</txp:if_variable>

No need for adi_gps.

Last edited by Bloke (2019-12-17 09:37:28)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2019-12-18 03:55:06

gilibaus
Website

Bloke’s suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks everyone.

#8 2019-12-19 06:58:29

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #320584:

<txp:page_url type="latest" />.

Out of curiosity, is that an undocumented value for the type attribute here? And what exactly does it selects?

(I haven’t tried what it generates)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#9 2019-12-19 09:19:22

jakob
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #320600:

Out of curiosity, is that an undocumented value for the type attribute here?

Oleg recently introduced (or perhaps it was possible for a while but he recently revealed it like he often does in a forum post) the ability to use “page_url” to retrieve url query variables. In conjunction with txp:variable, it obviates the need for adi_gps / rah_gps.

If my memory serves me correctly, it also escapes the url query value so there shouldn’t be a sql injection risk. Is that right, Oleg?

An aside: even better, article_custom will be able to respond to url variables too, making it possible to filter list output not just on categories or sections but also other criteria. I’ll have to find the post again and write that up as a forthcoming tip.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2019-12-19 09:44:23

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #320602:

Oleg recently introduced (or perhaps it was possible for a while but he recently revealed it like he often does in a forum post) the ability to use “page_url” to retrieve url query variables.

It was in 4.7 and I have even documented it. RTFM, comrades ;-)

it also escapes the url query value so there shouldn’t be a sql injection risk. Is that right, Oleg?

It escapes it for HTML output by default, not for SQL injection, since no txp tag writes directly to db. Makes me think we could add db to global escape options.

#11 2019-12-19 09:48:02

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #320603:

It was in 4.7 and I have even documented it. RTFM, comrades ;-)

I read it before posting! I didn’t see that particular type value mentioned, that is what puzzled me.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. Jacob, if you find back that post I’ll be happy to read it.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#12 2019-12-19 10:20:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #320600:

is that an undocumented value for the type attribute here?

Oleg beat me to this, but it’s documented. The example could be clearer, or we could add some more, maybe even this tip itself. Values are auto-sanitized when pulling query parameters in from the URL.

And, yes, from 4.8.0 jakob is right that <txp:article_custom> will be able to read in URL variables directly so you can do crazy filtering via custom field values or whatever. A boon for sites that offer browsing via article CFs (e.g. an estate agency site that reveals front-end select lists for number of rooms, location, property type, etc). Just add those params to the query payload and you can pass them straight through to <txp:article_custom>.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer