2. » Core development
  3. » Dev news

#97 2019-12-12 12:39:15

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Dev news

Bloke wrote #320493:

I can’t honestly think of any that would be affected, besides tom_write_editor (but that’ll probably break anyway since the HTML/preview/text tabs are gone). Maybe bot_wtc, but that breaks pretty much every version anyway due to the fragile nature of the DOM selectors?

The tabs are hidden, not gone, but I have not tested any of these plugins. They are possibly broken but shouldn’t be difficult to patch.

Floating up there where the tabs used to be looks a bit… odd, imo.

We can put a link per textarea, by they would open a common dialog atm?

#98 2019-12-12 12:42:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #320494:

We can put a link per textarea, by they would open a common dialog atm?

That’s fine. Click the body preview, you see that one. Click the excerpt preview link, the dialog content is replaced with the excerpt. The live checkbox and timeout (when/if we add that) remain in the same state.

In that case, we don’t need the title in the preview box, and don’t need those headers announcing each area, making the dialog smaller too. Well, maybe just the one heading indicating which field is currently being shown.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#99 2019-12-12 12:50:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #320489:

That wouldn’t be quite bw-compatible, I’m afraid. We will rather start implementing it in custom-fields branch.

???

I was not implying you needed to implement this illico subito presto, only that it was an interesting possibility.

What I was saying is that the current layout of having that “Preview” link at the top of the page, before the title input field was less that optimal as it feels like completely disconnected from the rest of the column. My suggestion had been to put that link/button after the “Title” input area.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#100 2019-12-12 12:53:36

Destry
Website

I appreciate all the work and levelheadedness going into these things for upcoming releases. A long time coming and well anticipated. Hang in there. Don’t get discouraged. Good things ahead. No doubt.

#101 2019-12-12 15:06:14

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #320496:

What I was saying is that the current layout of having that “Preview” link at the top of the page, before the title input field was less that optimal as it feels like completely disconnected from the rest of the column. My suggestion had been to put that link/button after the “Title” input area.

I have commented on preview for each textarea / CF – with preview link connected to each, sorry if there is any misunderstanding.

Destry wrote #320497:

I appreciate all the work and levelheadedness going into these things for upcoming releases. A long time coming and well anticipated. Hang in there. Don’t get discouraged. Good things ahead. No doubt.

Thanks!

#102 2019-12-13 11:29:03

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

This modal Preview is better now, with the trigger links next to the textarea. The positioning of the live preview checkbox inside the dialog is still a bit problematic imho.

It is less disturbing than when this layout (checkbox first in the pane) originally landed – the content of the dialog being different. But I’m not really comfortable with it. The story line does not seem to fit. It also depends, you (oleg) were talking about some kind of timeout control or similar. Is that still something you plan to add (prolly next to the checkbox) ? In that case, that (both) should go after the Preview/HTML chooser, I think.

#103 2019-12-13 14:16:09

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #320506:

you (oleg) were talking about some kind of timeout control or similar. Is that still something you plan to add (prolly next to the checkbox) ?

Yes, I think it could be useful to accommodate fast/slow writers.

#104 2019-12-13 14:21:10

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #320507:

Yes, I think it could be useful to accommodate fast/slow writers.

Agreed. And to balance server load/bandwidth if you write longform on a slow connection via a mobile, for example.

Storing the timeout value in localStorage along with the state of the live_preview checkbox will give a nice way of handling content previews across devices.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#105 2019-12-14 14:47:08

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #320508:

Agreed. And to balance server load/bandwidth if you write longform on a slow connection via a mobile, for example.

We’ve got another problem to solve on touch screens first. Phil?

#106 2019-12-15 00:14:32

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #320525:

We’ve got another problem to solve on touch screens first. Phil?

Is that really an issue? I still don’t see any practical use in having the Preview open the whole time, particularly on a smartphone size screen. Even on a tablet, except maybe the largest ones, that idea is questionable too imho.

(and no you suggestion upthread of overlaying one view over the other doesn’t cut it, in my book)

#107 2019-12-15 10:12:13

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #320544:

Is that really an issue? I still don’t see any practical use in having the Preview open the whole time, particularly on a smartphone size screen. Even on a tablet, except maybe the largest ones, that idea is questionable too imho.

All dialogs are concerned (tagbuilder, pophelp, etc), not only preview. It’s not a big annoyance, just a bit irritating.

#108 2019-12-15 10:48:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Yeah, we’ll have to live with it for now. Maybe we’ll be able to use another touch-enabled library at some point. Looks like jQuery UI development has stalled big time, so we might want to look around or find some native JavaScript ways to do this and other UI-ish stuff.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to migrate away from jQuery UI without too much upheaval of Phil’s framework, that’d be ace.

1. Index
  2. » Core development
  3. » Dev news

Board footer