Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2019-12-05 08:41:48

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: glz_custom_fields v2 beta for Textpattern v4.7

a small puzzlement with MySQL 8.

A small site runs on TXP 4.7.3 + MySQL 5.7.xx on my work iMac.
I copy the DB (exported with Sequel Pro) to my MBA, and import it, still Sequel Pro, in a MySQL 8.
Next I access this site running on TXP 4.8.0-dev. No problems (minor adjusts for paths and things, ok), Front-end runs fine, Admin is fine everywhere. Nearly.

Problem /Issue: impossible to access (load) the Extensions > Custom Fields panel. The browser just sits there, showing a blank page and the URL bar indicating loading (25%). That is a bit of nuisance, as there is then no way of managing CFs.

ATM the site uses only 2 custom fields, of type = Text (aka the default type, the TXP-default type of custom fields). It used to have some more (two radio sets) as well, but that got removed (and that was the reason I had the extension installed).

Worth nothing though that the plugin does work on a test site running the same combo of MySQL 8 and TXP-dev. But here the plugin was installed when MySQL was already at 8.

I’ve got a few more DB’s I can play with to see if there is pattern. In the mean time, I’ll appreciate your musings.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#62 2019-12-05 11:12:20

jakob
Admin
Website

I don’t have the option of trying out MySQL 8 at the moment (using MAMP) so I have no idea off the top of my head. Do any of the error reporting methods help, e.g. setting site status to debugging, or looking at the server’s error logs?

You can also set $debug=true; in the plugin code and it could provide you with some information on what’s falling over? If it’s got something to do with a new installation procedure, maybe the table/field forms are not correct. In the update to v2 I tried to ensure it only used Txp’s own db safe_update/upsert/insert/create/delete functions to avoid such problems in the regular operations.

I had hoped this plugin would not need updating again because it would be superseded by Textpattern’s own forthcoming solution…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#63 2019-12-05 11:43:51

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #320370:

I don’t have the option of trying out MySQL 8 at the moment (using MAMP) so I have no idea off the top of my head. Do any of the error reporting methods help, e.g. setting site status to debugging, or looking at the server’s error logs?

Site is in debug mode but reports nothing (I suspect we haven’t reach that far in parsing, as I’m basically starring at a blank screen. I’ll have to check to access the error log.

As I said, the odd thing – on a (newish) site that has a fresh install of the plugin everything runs fine.

You can also set $debug=true; in the plugin code […]

I’ll have to have a look at that, TY.

I had hoped this plugin would not need updating again because it would be superseded by Textpattern’s own forthcoming solution…

yeah, you are not alone in that :~)

PS- Something I have not mentioned clearly perhaps: a site, originally running TXP 4.7 with a MYSQL 5.7 DB updates correctly to TXP 4.8dev + MYSQL 5.7 and is fully functional.

Last edited by phiw13 (2019-12-05 12:27:23)

#64 2019-12-05 13:18:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #320370:

Uhhh yeah, sorry. A few leftover bugs in 4.7.3 and some backwards-compatibility concerns over MySQL 8 has kinda forced our hand to release 4.8.0 without custom fields. But there are a tonne of other goodies!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#65 2019-12-06 08:43:52

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Some hopeful development: I fetched a known-to-be-good DB from a live server (TXP 4.7.3 / MySQL 5.7) and used that on local host (running TXP 4.7.3 with MySQL 8). I can access the extension panel to manage/configure the CF’s, and all work as far as the front-end is concerned. Good.

I’ve now updated TXP to 4.8 dev, but now I can’t log in. Wut?
(the user/pw combo worked fine 5 minutes earlier). OK, something to investigate tomorrow tired of playing with all this for today.

Last edited by phiw13 (2019-12-06 08:45:43)

#66 2019-12-06 11:52:06

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

phiw13 wrote #320379:

I’ve now updated TXP to 4.8 dev, but now I can’t log in. Wut?
(the user/pw combo worked fine 5 minutes earlier). OK, something to investigate tomorrow tired of playing with all this for today.

Maybe a cookie problem? Have you tried another browser such as TOR?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#67 2019-12-06 12:17:00

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #320383:

Maybe a cookie problem?

Maybe, maybe a caching problem. Or something else. I dunno, like I said I need to investigate.

It was quite weird in that it straight out refused the username/password combo that I just had used with the previous version of TXP.

#68 2019-12-06 12:30:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I have that sometimes – especially in Firefox. It just dumps me straight out when I try to log in; doesn’t even attempt a login by the looks of things. I try clearing cookies and cache, still it refuses to log in. But a private browsing session or a different browser is fine. Go figure.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#69 2019-12-07 02:42:31

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

After a good sweep – caches and cookies purged – I could log in1. after navigating around, I could access the extensions > custom fields panel perfectly fine. All CF are there, adding/deleting/editing CF’s worked well.

So my previous experience above was, probably, a false alarm.

1 The release notes / upgrade instructions must mention that the textpattern/plugins folder must be editable (read and write).

Bloke wrote #320385:

I have that sometimes – especially in Firefox. It just dumps me straight out when I try to log in; doesn’t even attempt a login by the looks of things. I try clearing cookies and cache, still it refuses to log in. But a private browsing session or a different browser is fine. Go figure.

Yeah, I’ve seen something similar with Firefox, for whatever reason. Must have been the weather! But this was a first with Safari.

#70 2019-12-07 18:01:19

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bloke wrote #320385:

I also experiance this FF behaviour sometimes. I think that it happens after the login cookie expires. I’ll try to monitor it more closely next time it happens.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#71 2020-01-09 12:28:14

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Been there before, but can’t seem to find it back here:
How can i change the divider between values in a multiple choice custom field?

glz_custom_fields v2 beta displays | but i would like to display commas instead.

Thanx much!

Last edited by jayrope (2020-01-09 12:35:49)

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#72 2020-01-09 13:09:15

jakob
Admin
Website

jayrope wrote #320965:

How can i change the divider between values in a multiple choice custom field?

glz_custom_fields v2 beta displays | but i would like to display commas instead.

There was a reason for that, but I had to look it up again – see this thread. In short, you can’t change it in the plugin, but you can use either rah_replace to search/replace the | to a , or you can use rah_repeat where you can specify the delimiter you want to use when processing the list of items.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer